Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What is your favorite historic Sea-Run Cutthroat Fly?

10K views 82 replies 33 participants last post by  jimmyz 
#1 ·
A recent lacrosse trip to British Columbia allowed me to spend a couple of hours exploring the fly selection at several shops including Sea Run Fly & Tackle in Coquitlam. It was interesting to see the wide variety of small flies that dominate the beach fishing in BC. Flies like the Hurst Handlebar, size 8 Rolled Muddlers in 6 different colors and a wide variety of top water flies featuring deer hair.

I went back to reread Fishing the Sea-Run Cutthroat Trout that Les Johnson first published in 1971. It also sent me back to some of my older fly boxes to examine tried and true patterns that have fallen into disuse. Old favorites like the Allard Orange and Allard Yellow emerged. I tied on an Allard Orange on a recent outting and found that it was very successful in landing some large Coastal Cutthroat. This morning Norm Norlander posted a tweet of him tying the Cutthroat Coachman. It made me wonder what other great old patterns should be brought back and fished in the coming year.

I would love to hear what historic flies are used in your Coastal Cutthroat fishing.

#58 ·
Probably the top three consistent producers for me: Bordens Special ( original and also in really washed out faded colours), Allards orange and a real sparse mickey fin . One sleeper that still produces is Walt Johnsons Spectral Spider. Also a version of Johnsons beach fly, tied entirely from polar bear

Here is an original Johnson Spectral Spider (steelhead version)

#60 ·
Attached is a link to Doug Rose's Fly Fishing Christmas Newsletter 2011. http://dougroseflyfishing.com/blog/?p=551 There is a feature article by Jeffrey Delia who received many favorable references in this thread called "New and Old Ties for Sea-Run Cutthroat". Like most tiers, Jeffrey is experimenting with several new baitfish patterns that the photos demonstrate have been very effective. When the entire body, the wire and throat and most of the wing are chewed off, it demonstrates success. Jeffrey also entices with some Knutson-like patterns that he has been fishing with great success. His description of torpedo-like takes has me counting the minutes until Saturday. Again, like many tiers he mentions tying this pattern in red, yellow, orange, purple, black, brown and green. I know what I am going to be doing tonight.

#61 ·
WT, the Blair's Baiter was one of the first Cutthroat patterns that I learned to tie. On a visit to Kauffman's over 12 years ago Blair took me through the fly tying area pulling the materials for the Baiter and described the tying in great detail. About four years ago I ran into Blair at the Washington Fly Fishing Club and I remarked about his kindness in sharing the pattern with me. Blair asked for my address and about two weeks later an envelop showed up with three beautiful Blair's Baiters that he had tied for me. Needless to say, these three flies are displayed over my tying desk where they can be enjoyed without the risk that they get bent onto a leader. I thanked him profusely at the next monthly meeting and he just grinned and thanked me for remembering him. It makes me happy to think how many flies I have shared with strangers on a beach over the years.

Dale, thanks for sharing the photos of the Grass Shrimp. I have carried Horner's Shrimp in my SRC box for years but would love to add the Grass Shrimp. Would you mind posting a materials list and tying instructions. I am fortunate that many of the beaches I fish have huge eel grass beds and this fly needs to be ready when opportunity strikes. Thanks for the thread on Cutthroat Feeding Habits. It has resulted in some great new ideas. I appreciate your sharing.

#62 ·
Roger – Your success with shrimp patterns is encouraging.

Thank you Steve,
I would be happy to post the materials and instructions. Keep in mind this is new and untried and I am still working out simplifying the materials to some extent, currently it’s at least a 20 minute fly. However, I can still give the instructions for this version, give me a couple of days and I will post it in the Fly Tying Section.

#63 ·
Dale, Roger and I share patterns all of the time and the result can be really fun. My Slider was a result of trying to simplify the foam head on his topwater sand lance. I am looking at tying a number of new flies from this thread and will plan to post them as well. Thanks for sharing. Steve

#64 ·
I also have a flatwing tube skating sandlance that Roger and I have shared in the past. It has worked well here in the north sound when surface activity is apparent. Another variation of this one can be adjusted at will to work on the surface or subsurface or side motion, an idea stemmed from Rogers sequin flies. I will post a picture of it in the future in the Fly Tying Section.
Fly fishing is a life time of learning experiences, sharing with those who have the same interests’ play an important role in those experiences.
Thank you for sharing Steve.

#72 ·
I am in for a face to face. I will look into finding a venue. I live in Wallingford in Seattle. If we can keep it to 12 people that participated in the thread, I will host. Please let me know what you guys think.

Happy New Year. Steve

#80 ·
Beach Bum, that new vise is getting a workout. I really like the sparseness on the Lambuth Candlefish. I have been playing with some new Slider colors to test on some Resident Coho this weekend. Keep the creativity coming Steve.

#82 ·
Thanks guys, Theres nothing better than having new tying ideas popping off in your head, other than actually fishing them successfully. The more classic patterns I work on, the better my tying will get. I need to move into the Haig-Brown world of tying, but am a little intimidated.

See you guys at Steve's house in February.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.