What is your go to rod in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I have been using my freshwater starter 5wt for SRC and an 8wt lamiglas my father in law gave me. I have been wondering if I should consider a new rod that can handle most species in the salt, plus steelhead. What would your go to rod be? Would a 7wt like a TiCR handle steelhead, coho, chinook, chum and sea runs? My 8wt is two piece, I have a spare tip and an interchangable head line and extra spools. Should I just stick to that setup and keep my cash for something else? Thanks for your input, I've had a 6wt and 7wt saltwater rod in my hand a lot lately in the stores, but have been successful in walking away (a tough task for me).

2. I have 2 rods that i fish a lot.
    6wt Xi2 and a 6wt SuperSport
    I have caught all the species you list on my Xi2

3. I'm about to unsuccessfully walk away I think. I'm probably going to get caught on an Echo Classic 9' 6 wt. Its a great pattern for the discerning fly fisher on a budget. Catches a bunch when the rivers are high and the fisherman are milling around dreaming about monster fish.

4. 9' 6wt. TFO TiCr-X is my go-to beach rod. Probably because it's my only beach rod... It handles just about everything the seas around here can throw at you, with the exception of Chinook, probably. I just lined up my Sage 8 wt. as well and I am eagerly looking forward to getting some nice salmon on it in a few days.
    -Ethan

5. 9 1/2 6 weight Sage RPL.... good backbone with a soft tip. I have caught everything
    on this stick (15# chummies) David

6. 9 1/2 foot 6 wt Sage XP, but I just upgraded to the Z axis and I like it even better.

7. It seems like most of you are using 6wt, I have thought the 8wt was a bit too stout. I have connected with kings on the 8wt though, which tests me a lot, maybe not the rod. I have caught silvers on the 5wt, some of which made for a long fight on that rod. I'm just torn between using the 5 or 8, getting a 7 or getting a 6. Thanks for the input...I'm still on the fencepost. I also like the possibility of going longer, many make 9 1/2 footers or even 10 footers that may aid in beach clearance and casting distance.

8. ptyd

9. I also fish a 6wt in the salt but with what you have you could get by without another rod(I am not an advocate of this 99% of the time). Match up your rod to what you are targeting and the 8wt should serve you well.Especially if you can cast both rods a long ways then you are set.

5wt for residents, and cutts.
    8wt for the fall once the salmon show up and steelhead.

I fish my 6wt for summer steel but could just as easily use an 8wt and know plenty of people who do.
    Save your money, unless you would just waste it on other junk, in which case buy a new rod. :)

10. A TFO TICR 6wt.with a floating and clear int line. and a T&T Horizon 8wt. with shooting head system, floater, intermediate and sinking lines type 3-6.

11. my newly acquired 8wt TFO Pro rod, with some SA GPX WT F. Pretty nice rod. Fast action.

12. I use a 4 piece 10' 6wt. Loomis Native Run GLX with a Nautilus 6/7 NV and a Rio clear intermediate shooting head. It will cast a long line and handle big fish.

13. 10' 6WT Scott A2 with an 8WT SA StreamerExpress.

14. There are some ten footers! And I like the line usage to customize your preferences. More to ponder, thanks all.

15. Sage 696 TCR or Orvis Helios 690, depending on the wind conditions and if targeting SRC's or salmon.

16. Which for which wind conditions? Which for SRC's and which for salmon? What lines do you like? :thumb:

17. The 6wt Helios is a great stick that I primarily use to target SRC's on windless or slightly breezy days. I have it lined with a 6wt SA Expert Distance line which suits this rod well, although it might be fun to overline it one weight up and see how it performs. This rod is "jumpy" in the hands and allows you to feel the bend when an average sized SRC is on the end of the line.

The Sage TCR 697, I have lined with a 7wt Rio Outbound which slows the rod down slightly and allows it to flex deeper, spring loading it to achieve greater forward distance. Even with a headwind, it will get a weighted fly out with considerable ease. This rod is a great salmon stick or when the wind conditions become tough, but typically manhandles an average sized SRC.

I have switched lines on both rods as an experiment and the Helios was greatly under powered with a 7wt Outbound, plus 5' tip, weighted fly and slight headwind. The TCR didn't flex much with the 6wt SA line and probably could easily be uplined upto two line weights, to achieve greater performance.

I am curious about the T&T Apex 6wt though and how it compares in action to the TCR..

Bob

18. I have a Sage RPL 690 and RPL 896 that I use out there. I love the 6 wt for cutthroat, but by the end of June I generally switch to the 8wt to take on the larger salmon.

19. Am I the only one with an Elkhorn fly rod? I use a 9' 6wt. I yet to catch much in the salt, but SOON I will catch something (other than a cold)!ptyd

20. Not that I've had a chance to use any of these recently but here goes -
    For boat and kayak: Sage 6wt RPLXi (bought from Richard) lined with a SA 7wt Saltwater floating line or a 7wt Outbound intermediate; and a 7wt TFO TiCr lined with an 8wt Rio Versatip.
    For the beach: Beulah 6/7 switch (Philster's recommendation - still enjoying, even smallish SRCs feel lively on it....), lined with 8 or 9 wt floating and intermediate Airflo 40+ (lines bought from Herl - I'm cheap...). Seeing the array of names makes me realize how much I've learned from these and others here over the past year - thanks.