What is your go to rod in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +322 / 0
    I have Porter, but not on a river. Only overhead casting on some grass.

I probably wont shell out the bucks for another TCR any time soon. I love the rod, but in all honesty it is spendy. There are cheaper rods that perform for much less, and it is faster than my current taste for the majority of my fishing.

When I was only overhead casting I really liked the faster rods. Now that I mostly spey cast with single hand rods I much prefer slow full action rods. I will take a slow rod and no false casts for the most part, over a fast rod that I have to work a lot harder to get to load and is less forgiving to timing. Locally, I rarely make an overhead cast unless I need to get out past 60 feet which really only happens on a handful of the tailouts on the Skagit and Sky.

The reason it is my go to rod for salt is that when I do need to overhead cast into the wind, or have to power to get out as far as I can, it is more forgiving because the tip doesn't collapse for those 80 to 100 foot overhead casts.
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    Thanks for response...just curious regarding opinions of casters. I have the 691-4 TCR and it is a rocket...probably more than I like at times....and was thinking the extra length might soften the rod ...thus a TCR in a 10' build would behave like a 9' XP. I don't know :confused: but to me that would be a nice casting/fishing rod :)
  3. Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Great comments here.
    I go with a Sage 696RPL, great back bone, sensetive tip and super when the wind picks up. I use a 7Wt. line as it seems to load much better. Silvers no problem and SRC's are still fun. I do think the key to that rod is using a 7 wt. line though.

Tight lines
  4. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    9 ft Griggs, 5/6 wt, $60 odd bucks and with a crystal river 6wt fwd ($15) great for cutts and pinks/silvers, flounders and sculpin too if that's your thing. Cheap as chips but more than good enough, I can throw 80+ ft even into light winds, especially early morning when I get to do most of my fishing. With more 'distance' designed rods (I also have a 10' 6 wt Echo) I found them so poker stiff that giving a fish <15" any serious pressure more often than not led to an LDR or a small fish is simply dragged to hand. Any wind that's big, or with big flies go with an 7/8 wt to have a more trouble free day, just don't fish for cutts, it's more than a wee bit over gunned, personally all the pinks and silvers that I've ever caught fall into this category too. Kings and chums need a bit more but had a blast last yr in the hood canal with a TFO 6wt spey on chums, probably more like a single 8wt tho'. For one rod in the sound, it's my Griggs 5/6 wt, $ for $ better than most other rods.

Dave
  5. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I'm new to salt fishing but I use two Eagle Claw Granger XG rods, a 9ft 5wt and a 9ft 7/8wt....not the best but more than adequate to get the job done. Caught a couple SRC's this Summer so far and hope to get a silver or two and perhaps a king before too long.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,474 / 9
    Holy crap! My new rod arrived today. I ordered a 10' 4pc 7wt Redington RS4. What I got was a mixed bag! Tip and butt section clearly marked 10' #7. Middle two sections clearly marked 10' #8. WTF? Now what do I do? Fishing season opens in three days. Do I send it back to the place I bought it from, or do I take it down the road to Sage? All sections fit nicely together, but I have two 8wt rods already, the purpose was to drop to a 7wt. Dang!
  7. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Since you're so close I'd take that new rod into sage and see if they can work something out for you..
  8. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    :iagree: That's really wierd. I would definately see Sage and try to get it sorted out.
    -Ethan
  9. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    well that sucks...
    support your local fly shop.
  10. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Consider the TFO Axiom 9' 6wt, I got a chance to play with it and fish with it for a short time at Rock Creek. Great rod, and I played with the 5wt with my new SA Sharkskin line. They rocked!!

I also borrowed from the gear program the Loop Multi 9'6" 6wt and it rocks as well. I wrote a review for it last night and it will be in the gear section, once it's okayed by one of the mod's. I wasn't sure that I would like a 9'6" rod, but it was great from the boat on the float I did on the Big Hole casting BIG salmon flies and caddis patterns. Consider the AEG version of this rod if you're interested in buying.

Bill :thumb:
  11. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    Jeremy touches on a good point - our rods are more of a tool for delivering our flies to the fish. I tend to choose my rods based on the type of flies and conditions I will be fishing rather than the fish I'm fishing. For example I would opt for a different rod for sea-runs in the salt if I were fishing from a boat with un-weighted spiders than if I were fishing from a beach at high tide backed up against the tree line with heavily weighted flies.

With a limited rod arsenal I would opt for a rod that would best fish the conditions and flies that I expect to mostly fish. In my experience it is the fisherman skills in fghting fish rather than the rod size (within reason) that limits our ability to handle larger than expect fish. I tend to fish rods that are enjoyable for the typical fish I expect rather than one that best fits the largest fish I might encounter every once in a while. With that in mind the most versatile rod (out of a collection of more than 20 rods) that I regularly fish is my sage 9 foot 6 inch 5 weigth RLP+ - and oldie but goodie

Tight lines
    Curt
  12. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Scott X2S, 6 weight w/ RIO #8 Outbound.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Dave, it was the local fly shop where I was when my friend got married. He and his wife got it for me there and had it shipped to my house. I certainly would have preferred that they had gotten me a gift certificate at Peninsula Outfitters. That is my go to place normally, great products and great staff.
  14. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    while i dont really understand how that transaction went down, you will probably have to deal with the shop you bought it from. Call them up and see what they say. If Redington shipped out the wrong pieces you should be able to take it over to Day Rd and get a couple new sections or just swap it out for a new rod.
  15. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0

Contact the shop from where the rod came. Seriously. They may have another rod outfit with mixed pieces, and would therefore be happy to get it straightened out (two 'correct' rods instead of two 'mismatched' rods). You'll be happy, they'll be happy . . . all win.
  16. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I use a 9ft 6wt Axiom for the beach. I paid 250 for it making it the most expensive rod I own. It loads fast, Shoots a line very well, and small fish are still fun while it maintains backbone for bigger fish and wind. Until I am independently wealthy I don't think I will buy anything hundreds more for a little more performance.

Steven
  17. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I go to my redington redfly 2 5wt with a RIO outbound #6 and for a reel I just have an okuma integrity but am hoping to buy an orvis battenkill mid arbor somewhere in the near future. Still am learning to cast my new outbound but with some time on the water I should be getting used to it.

Jake
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula

Richard, I did exactly that via email last night before I made my post about the mixmatched peices here on WFFF. This morning Todd from the shop informed me that this must be a company error as it had never been opened or displayed and he had no other mismatched setups. He will call Sage tomorrow and instruct me to go or not go there for a trade. With salmon season looming I 'm hoping it is that easy. I have never had Sage or Redington dollars before, so I'm not used to dealing with them but I have heard they are great. My fingers are crossed.
  19. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    I'm confused, clearly marked how? Certainly not on the rod itself, correct? I've never seen a rod packaged as such that it describes each piece and what weight rod it is for unless Redington is doing something new with the RS4.
    Please explain how it is marked.
    Also, did you put the rod together? Could someone have accidentally marked the sections as 8wt when it is really a 7 wt.
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula

Stonefish, the RS4 comes with alignment dots and each piece is in fact labeled with the line weight and rod length. I had never seen another rod like this, maybe some other high end rods come this way, or it may be a new trend. That is the only way I would have known, all four peices fit nicely together. They could be mislabeled, but they are factory labeled, not shop labeled.