What is your go to rod in the salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Mumbles,
    Thanks for the reply. I can't say I've ever seen a rod with each section marked before either. That must be something new Redington is doing with the RS4. I've got two CPS's and neither are marked as such.
    That is actually not a bad idea. I once had my broken down 4 wt and 6 wt GLX's get mixed together. The blank marking would have solved that easily.
    Redington has excellent service and will take good care of you.

2. Denny

Denny Active Member

Again, I bet somebody goofed up back at the shop. That's your first call, because they didn't send you what you were supposed to get. At this point, it's not Redington's 'fault' . . .

3. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Searun cutties, dry flies and tiny poppers - 5 weight.
    Searun cutties and salmon -- sink tips and dry lines (6-10 depending on wind, species, location, lines needed to get to fish, flies cast other factors.) I usually gun a bit heavy if salmon are around and give up the sea-run battles a light rod affords as a concession to being a "big fish whore". I am currently in therapy to correct that big fish "issue" I have carried since childhood.:D
    Popper Rod in Washington - 8 weight if I am throwing all day from morning to night. By the way, these are the days I actually have landed more than one fish on any popper in one day, by fishing it all day long back home.
    Popper Rod in Hawaii 10 weight infrequently, most of the time a 12 -- See big fish issue above.:beer2:
    Bonefish in Hawaii - 9 weight but will and have used 12 weight in really rugged coral areas where fish have to be stopped now or lost.
    Bluewater - 12 weight most of the time and every now and then, 14 weight.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Richard, I'm sure you are right, something happened at the shop. The shop's response today was it is not us, we never opened the thing, it must be Redington. They are going to call Redington tomorrow and then me, hopefully I can just stop over at the factory at lunch or on my way home off the island. Like D3Smartie said, support your local fly shop. Next time someone asks me about rods I'm coveting, no matter where I am, I will say, just get me that gift card for my local place...Peninsula Outfitters in Poulsbo. Every one of the five staff members I have met there have treated me great, whether I'm buying something or not.