What is your Vise?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by smallieFanatic, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. Okay guys so lets hear what you tie on, just for fun.

    I tie on an Anvil Apex, and I love it!
     
  2. I have a Vise and Reel Addiction...
    C and F Reference
    C and F Marco Polo
    Renzetti Traveler
    Dyna King Barracuda
    HMH Tube Vise
    Eumer Tube Vise
    Regal Medallion

    Now how many can I tie on at one time is the question....
     
  3. Use a Danvise most of the time, but still have the 50+ year-old Thompson Dad bought me when I adopted the tying addiction long ago & also have an upgraded Thompson that I use for large hooks, deer-hair bugs, etc.
     
  4. I use either a HMH Premium tube vise (I`ve also added the Omni and Magnum jaws) , or a Gatsby vise . The Gatsby is hard to find , and is a bit quirky , but it`s the best vise I`ve ever owned .
     
  5. Nor-vise
    Vosseler
     
  6. I tie on a Snowbee-Waldron and my wife uses a Nor-Vise and a Wasatch J-Vise. In 40+ years of tying and fishing I've owned a lot of different vises, the Snowbee-Waldron is the last vise I'll ever need.

    REE
     
  7. Renzetti Traveller
    Renzetti Master

    Thought about a LAW for my 'last vise' but was too impatient to deal with the waiting list.
     
  8. I never understood the fascination with the L.A.W. vice. I think the europeans love it for two reasons.. One its made in europe, and Two the dont have to pay the Import Tarriffs on a L.A.W. Vice.
    The Example is I can buy a Hardy Rod over there for about 1/3-1/4 less than I can get one in the states for, conversely they pay about that same amount more US Made items...

    I think the fact that the vise is a Benchmade Vise that is made by one mane is a very cool aspect but other than that. I dont see what is so great about it.
     
  9. I use an older Renzetti 4000

    TC
     
  10. Nor Regal and Renzetti Travellor

    I use the Regal the most.
    But the Nor is growing on me.
    The renzetti lives inside my light tent, where
    I use if for photographing flies.

    The renzetti is a well-made vise. But all too often
    needs a bit of hooks-size to hook-size adjusting,
    which all to often leads to hooks not held tight,
    if you don't do the adjusting. With the Regal,
    there are no adjustments. You just use it.

    The Nor is a bit weird at first, but it does grow on you,
    at least for certain fly types and selected operations.
    Sometimes I start in Nor and finish in the Regal.
     
  11. I tie on a DynaKing Sidewinder and a DynaKing Barracuda but I would trade the Barracuda for another Sidewinder.
     
  12. When I tied, my last vise was a Peak Rotary. But I've used a few more at one time or another. But I haven't tied a fly in over two years now. My last fly was a woven one.
     
  13. Nor-vise 75% of the time, a Dan-vise the other 25%.
     
  14. Thanks for all the replies guys! :)
     
  15. I use a PEAK and a Dyna King Barracuda and enjoy them both equally :)
     
  16. Griffin 2a -- Holds a hook, mostly, kinda. Weighs nothing. Stem breaks down
    Renzetti Traveller -- Highly recommended when I bought it. Hated it when I sold it. It was a 1st gen Traveller. Maybe they're better now.
    HMH Spartan -- Was my main bench vise for years. Nothing fancy. Just holds a hook like nothing else.
    Regal -- Got a deal on a used one. Sometimes I wonder why I tie on anything else.
    Dyna-King Barracuda -- Thing's a beast, but it's amazing. Probably the last vise that will ever sit on my bench. You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
    DK Kingfisher -- My new travelling vise. Nothing fancy. Holds a hook, positively. Weighs nothing. DK machining.
     
  17. I got this from a Sooth Ahfreekun bleck smeeth.

    Hand made from needle nose pliers. You can tighten a 1/0 saltwater hook into this vise,
    and then break the hook before the jaws will let go.


    [​IMG]
     
  18. Dan vice, should be my last. I don't tie fast and I will wear out first. If I don't fish more I've already got too many flies. I won't stop tying i'ts too much fun trying to make something special. Bob
     
  19. Regal. A grea vise, after starting out on a cheap vise that wouldn't hold hooks no matter how hard I cranked on the knob, I cant ask for anything better.
     

Share This Page