What is your Vise?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by smallieFanatic, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Kim Ferris

Kim Ferris left-handed sort of way

dynaking kingfisher. was tying on a thompson, but wanted the positive grip that dynaking vises offer. k

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Dyna-King Barracuda. And one of these days I'm gonna hook that sucker up to a reversable, variable speed, foot controlled motor. :cool:

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Nor-Vise and just added the midge jaws.

4. steve s

steve s Member

I've got a Norvise but am thinking about selling or trading for something else. Had a Renzetti Traveler for years but just sold it. I've been thinking about a Regal or HMH.

5. catch and release

catch and release New Member

I tie flies with a home made rotary vise I put together by purchasing a plumbing three way fitting and an exacto nife attached by model helicopter bearings equivalant to almost a norvise, vise. Cost me $ 27.00 all together and it workes fantastic. lol

6. robl

robl Member

Dyna King Barracuda. I love that thing.

I have a Dyna King Kingfisher as a travel vice that works great. The two vices have interchangable jaws.

The tension adjustment on these vices can be a little bit tricky in my opinion but once you have it dialed in . . . . they are killer efficient.

I would like to tie on the Dyna King Professional sometime as it would seem more efficient for some patterns.

7. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

I bought a Barracuda a couple of years ago and it took me a little bit to figure the thing out. When I got it home from the shop, the first thing I noticed was that it is huge. Holy Moly kinda huge. Had to rearrange my bench. When I started tying on it, I thought, this thing's a piece of crap. I can't get a hook in it, I can't make adjustments, the thing's awful. I was, literally, about a day away from taking it back.

Then, I stumbled upon something. If you put your hands "here", the vise takes the hook perfectly. And it turns out that "here" is where your hands naturally should be when you go to put a hook in and work the cam handle. And instead of reaching around and using your fingers to turn that adjustment knob, just lay your palm on the top and use your thumb. Effortless.

It takes a little while to find the sweet spots on DK vises. But these vises are all about sweet spots. Every action has one. If something seems awkward, you're doing it wrong. When you figure out how to do it right, it becomes natural and effortless and makes you wonder why every vise isn't set up that way. Ron Abby is a genius.

As for returning it to the store, they can have it back when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

8. Loteck Joe

Loteck Joe Over The Hill Gang Member

I tied for a long time on a Dan Vise. Then I wanted something a little finer so I opted for a Griffen Odyssey Spider. It turned out to be too delicate for my hands so I'm back to the Dan Vise. I often like to rest my left hand on the vise and the Spider just couldn't take it. I really do like the Dan Vise.

9. robl

robl Member

NB_Ken

Couldn't have said it better myself! Ron Abby is a genius! One day I will likely own as many of his tying equipment as I can find. Their pricey but well worth it. The 'cudda took my tying to a whole new level, no question. I've tied on griffins, thompson, etc. and none could ever come close to comparing the the solid steel and ridiculous machining precision of the Dyna King stuff in my opinion. Tools are critical to consistency and quality and most tyers use sub-par equipment. Somewhatunderstandably so. There's a lot more fly fisherman than fly tiers and the vast majority of those who start only do it once or thrice. Money is real . . . . . . . especially the lack thereof.

10. Sam Decker

Sam Decker New Member

I have a Law, and it is the best!!! I know it costs alot but well worth the cost.

11. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

A few over 100,000 flies on a Barracuda...but other vises are probably just as good.

12. xdog

xdog Active Member

Rocking it old school with a Price Vise.
    Anyone even ever heard of it? They were made in Lapine Oregon if remember correctly. Going on 35 years old and many thousands of flies later it still holds a hook nicely. Very straight forward and functional clamp on design you can easily adjust it for height, move the head for angle and it easily rotates. It used to be black but kind of like blueing on a shotgun I wore most of the black off it. It was a higher priced vice back in its day in the seventies I think we payed around 75 bucks back then, it dosent owe me any money for sure.

:)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

Beautimus xdog, beautimus.

14. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

I had a Price Vise once and you are right...it is a good machine. Really nice, fish catching flies, by the way.

15. xdog

xdog Active Member

Oh good I thought perhaps I was the only old relic that could appreciate the old Price Vise. Regarding the flies thankyou both, thats what we strive for is fish catchers...... and hopefully sometimes they do.

16. LD

LD Active Member

Peak with the extra midge jaws.

17. deepcreek

deepcreek New Member

Regal all the way

18. FT

FT Active Member

Dyna King Barracuda. I've been tying on it since they first hit the market, which was about 1994. I've tied somwhere near1.5 million flies on it and it still works as good as new.

19. Lakebuzzer

Lakebuzzer I like to rip lips,,

When I first started tying flies for Bob Marriott I was using a regal, now I tie for several other companies and have tied thousands of flies, ranging from trout to sails on a nor-vise. I love this vise. :thumb:

20. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

WOW, that is an addiction!
    And a safe one to have too unless your wearing out the credit card :p

Me?
    I have a Regal Medallion