What kind of anchor/anchor system do you use for your raft?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Crump, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Crump

Crump Member

Media:
    Well my raft showed up about a week and a half ago. I picked up an Aire D series 14'3" model with regular rowing frame. My question is what do you raft owners do about anchoring your boat. My frame doesn't come with any sort of anchor system and I am thinking of getting something that could be removable so it could easily be packed in a plane. I would imagine that most of you have fly fishing frames that have anchor systems, but are there any of you that don't and have solved this problem?

On a side note, next week marks the first Alaskan float trip of the summer, I will post pics when Im back down south...Its going to be a busy month, four rivers, four weeks, two days in town....Im getting excited

crump

2. southpaw22

southpaw22 member

Media:
    hey crump,
    i use a standard NRS anchor mount. i have a 14' NRS, and i went to NRS for them to extend the Stern mount about 5 inches.(the anchor hit the back of the boat). i would look into NRS or down river outfitters(www.DownRiverEquip.com) they have a sealed anchor system. this is huge for the guy in the back. i had to improvise on my raft because lines got caught in the pulley system. works good now though. what frame do you have? some aren't compatable with each other. i would also go with very thick anchor rope, nothing smaller than 1/2. my anchor is a 30 pound pyramid, getting a nice steel 45 pounder. 30 works okay, but summer runs are high. let me know when you are around the upper yak, you can look at my set up.
    tightlines,
    sp22

3. STi~Driver

STi~Driver New Member

Media:
    Dunno if this helps, but I have seen an anchor on David Childs boat I think that has lots of chain rapped around the weight itself. Tied back to the weight itself every 10" or so.. I have no idea if this makes any sence at all.. but it seems to work very very well. :)

4. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    I don't have a raft.

5. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    i second scott with the NRS mount, simple and very efficient. i have ran into the line problem with the rope, but havent fished out of mine near as much either.