What kind of battery for a trolling motor?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by steve s, May 1, 2008.

1. I received a free trolling motor from a buddy, I just need to get a battery. I've done a little bit of searching on other boards but haven't been able to find a straight answer to my question. What kind of battery do I need. The trolling motor is the only thing that will be hooked up to the battery. Do I need a marine battery? Will a car battery work? What other accessories should I look into?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Deep cycle will last the longest.

3. Deep cycle. I bought 2 costco deep cycle batteries and a charger (make sure it has 'deep cycle' option). A backup is good to have for longer trips (more than 1/2 a day depending on how you use it...).

4. iagree you can sometime find good sales at Joe's. Get a back up as Chad mentioned for longer days. :thumb:

5. Thanks for the advice.

Steve

6. i use gel cel deepcycles used for those handicap scooters,i found them at a flea market up here north of the border...the scooter rental shops sell them off quite regularly apparently,this latest one i have i have been using for 4 yrs,and it still holds for a weekend of fishing,disclaimer here,....I don't troll,merely run and gun for fishing spots....hope it helps

7. Battery. Group 22 is 50% lighter than a 24 for about 20% less AH (reserve). a good trade-off, IMHO;
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...mode matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=AGM battery&noImage=0

Info about batteries; AGM/Gel/Flooded; good info here!(and cheaper than Cabelas). I bought mine locally as a DEKA for $95. Only about 3 or 4 battery mfr's in US(lead & EPA), they label as customer requires;
    http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/1081.pdf

Charger, this will charge my battery at 30-50% reserve to full in 1-hour. Must have "intelligent" charger with AGM and Gel batt's:
    http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=15580

battery box. Solve the weak lid buckles by wrapping the top (under the handle) with a camstrap. Once the batt's in the box, I've never had it out. Drill some 1/4" drain holes in the bottom and pack the gap in sides with cooler pad foam so battery doesn't shift around. I like the battery meter, quick connections, circuit breaker;
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...mode matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=battery box&noImage=0

I get 3-5 hrs with a 30 lb. trolling motor using the above mentioned Group 22AGM, leaving 30-50% battery reserve. You DON'T want to drain any battery down past 80% very often.
    With a handle extension for the motor and using the standing platform/leanbar/stripping basket, I can quietly cruise and look for rises or "porpising" fish and fire on them in short order.
    Enjoy!

8. For my pontoon boat I use a deep cycle lawn mower battery. Much smaller than a marine battery, but in my iniital test of just running it non stop it ran for over four full hours of run time as I trolled a lake. Much smaller, compact and when would I expect to run it for four hours? Suits my needs well.

9. Interesting, what's it weigh? Do you know the group size?
    Robert

10. a deep cell will last many years if you don't discharge beyond 50%, keep the water checked, and make sure it is always charged. Repeatedly fully discharging any lead acid battery will ruin it very shortly.

11. I first had one from Costco, the type with liguid in it that was deep cycle and it went bad after about 2 years. So did some research and found IMO the Optima Marine battery to be great. It can sit for months and still have a fairly good charge, and charges to max quickly. It also has no liguid so nothing to spill. Does cost a little more, but well worth it. Got it for approx $150 at Costco 2 years ago and still going good.

12. Robert, I don't know much. 350 cranking amps part number U13-7 from Everstart. Weight as modified with a charge tester and home fabricated web belt carrying cradle and handle is about 14 pounds. That is heavy, but half of what my full sized marine battery weights. It fits nicely into a locking metal tackle box on the back deck of my pontoon along with my anchor, anchor line, a few odds and ends and cable lock. Sometimes I drop the toon off at the launch site, drive to the pick up location and ride my bike back to the toon. Lock the bike, float to the truck and go retrieve the bike.

13. I just have a regular car battery, but I would get a deep cycle if I had the option.

I use an old minnkota 15 so I get about 5 solid days of fishing before i need to charge it up again.

Unfortunately today was the day when I needed to recharge and ended up paddling back to shore.

Depending on the strength and size of the motor, I would adjust with your battery size.

14. Good resource: windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

15. I asked the same question about 2 years ago when i was looking for a battery. I wasn't a member here yet so i had a lot of research to do. Here is how I went about it and figured it out.

1. Figure out what your trolling motor draws for amperage and how you plan to use it. I have a older 25lb thrust minnkota endura. I determined the amperage by hooking it to a deep cycle from my boat and running my multimeter in line with the power and using the motor in a drum of water. At speed 5 (the fastest) the motor drew about 21 amps an hours. At speed 1 (the slowest) it drew less the 3 amps an hour. (P.S. later i found out you can email tech support @ minnkota and they will tell you all that)

2. Determine if size is a factor. If your toon can support a big 40 lb plus deep cycle. Go get one , you should be able to run it for days without a charge. I found i didn't like the space/weight of a full size deep cycle

3. Most important, Cash. This one is pretty self explanatory.

4. After figuring in these first three, determine what you want/need/can afford. I found the small electric wheelchair batteries where perfect in all three. Light weight, CHEAP and moderately powerful. I found a 27AH powerstar battery online for $26. The battery is 7 in long 4 in wide and 7 in tall and weighs 13 LBS. I cant even tell its there. Seriously, my fly box is bigger.As for power at 27 amp hours i can run it wide open for about 1 hour 15 min before it dies. But I never need to, (@ wide open on my pontoon i could pretty much tow a skier and the wake gets everything wet). I Rarely ever go above 1, i troll and jump all over the lakes here in eastern WA and i really don't need anymore. At speed 1 the motor only draws a little less then 3 amps an hour. So in essence i can run 9 hours straight without a charge.But trolling for 9 hours is a pretty long time.Now I do charge the battery up whenever i get back though and so far it has lasted 2 years of almost daily use. Just my 2 cents trying to save you a buck or 2. Let me know if you have any questions.