NFR What kind of bear...?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, May 31, 2012.

1. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +790 / 1
    We spotted this bear on a run up Mt. Hull behind our property last week. Any of you bear experts know what kind of bear it might be?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    Can't claim to be an expert, but it looks like a black to me. They run the gamut of colors from almost blond to a full black.
  3. tyeoneon Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I believe that grizzleys have a defined hump by their neck, and their snout is a bit "squared" as opposed to pointed. This one's probably a black bear, as Dennis stated.
  4. fisherjon Member

Oak Harbor,Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    polar bear
    golfman44, heathero and Dehlan G like this.
  5. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,093 / 0
    That's a garden variety black bear also known as a TCR-trash can raider. One that looks like that has been terrorizing the neighbors this spring and has also been in the back yard eying my barbque grills-either as a source of food or a mating opportuity. I think the neighbors have finally figured out it is time to take down the suet cakes, bird feeders,etc and start going to the landfill at least once a week.

Ive
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    It looks like a small bear, probably going to be a big Black one when he grows up.
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +790 / 1
    You might be giving them too much credit...:rolleyes:

I never realized that black bears came in so many different shades...no I know. Thanks everyone...
  8. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Pretty cool thing to spot. Never seen one while out fishing--part of me would love to see one, but the other part of me would probably crap my pants. Even a little guy like that.
  9. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +457 / 0
    Although I didn't see it myself I heard several reports of a "blonde-phase" black bear at Chopaka last week. Apparently a yearling wandering around on the slopes south of the lake.
  10. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +784 / 1
    Dishwater-blonde (black) would be my guess; based on what I can see from the larger, rounder shaped ear.
  11. apistomaster Member

Clarkston, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Looks like the "cinnamon" color phase; a common variant of the black bear.
    I was at Chopaka on one trip and got to see an adult Black bear climbing the hill across from the campgrounds.

On another trip my brother and I were fishing Benewah Creek in Northern Idaho when a two cubs, a black one and a cinnamon colored one crossed upstream less than 250 feet from us.
    A minute late the Sow crossed. She was Black, paused, then stood upright staring us down. We just froze until they passed and then left in search of a better stream to fish.
  12. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +682 / 0
    I'd say Black Bear, brown color phase (not enough red to cinnamon) would be my guess, although it's hard to be 100% positive from that angle . . . head looks too narrow for a Griz & I don't see a distinctive hump, but it's also a young bruin. The ears seem more rounded than a Blackie. If I were hunting it, I'd definitely want a better look before I committed.
  13. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +566 / 0
    It sure is great seeing wildlife in the wild. Driving thru the brush on my way to a lake today, I spotted a glimpse of a cougar disappearing off the side of the dirt road ahead. Saw that long tail!
  14. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Not a Griz. Color phase black bear. black bear come in many color phases. Saw a similar colored bear by my house last week.

neat.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    I came almost face to face with a black bear on Pilchuck creek one time. I came around a bend in the creek and he came across it about the same time. I believe that was the time I walked on water. I turned around and beat feet down to where my brother was and we left that area. We were about 30' apart.

In my many years of fishing in Washington I have never ran across as many black bears than I did in my last years there. Ever since they quit using dogs to hunt with the bear population has gone up.
  16. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    From this angle, a hunter could be in some serious doo doo. The ears look rounded (from this angle) and the face looks dished, but this could be because of the tree branch. If it is dished with rounded ears, more likely a small griz. Like others have pointed out, the color is really not that helpful.
  17. Abomb Active Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I have hunted and killed a lot of bear as well as lived in very Grizz rich enviros. and would have to get some better looks on this guy before pulling the trigger. At first glance I thought, Black, then upon closer inspection it could be a Juvenile Grizz. No one can tell with the angle of the photo exactly if that guy is Grizz or Black
  18. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +88 / 0
  19. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,679 / 0
    Roman nose, no apparent shoulder hump, therefore a black bear.
  20. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Salmo,

I've seen grizzlies where from various angles, the hump is not that apparent, especially with juveniles. And, I spent about an hour watching a beautiful adult brown phase black bear that first caught my attention because in a certain pose, it looked like it had a hump. It was just the position it was standing in. The jury's out on this youngster. Interestingly, Montana requires bear hunters to take an online class and pass a test before they can be issued a black bear tag. The more I look at this guy, it looks like the small thin tree goes all the way down past the snout and that makes it look like the face is dished. If I had to guess, I'd say Roper got lucky and saw a griz.