What kind of boat is this part II

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by wannafish, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

Many of you may remember me asking about a boat a while back with a lame description and no pic.....
    Well, I found a pic of the same boat on the upper left corner of this web-page (couldn't cut and paste the pic, I'm not that computer savy!!). Anyways, let me know if you know what kind of boat this is!

http://www.glaciertoyellowstone.com/

2. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    looks like an adaptation of the barnegat bay sneak boxes i have built. a nice boat to row and plenty sea worthy. even adaptable for a small sail. the boat in the link looks like they rockered the bow, and probably the stern, and retained the coming around the interior. i have lots of old photos but none of them are scanned so i can't share, sorry.

3. loopthrower

loopthrower New Member

Do you happen to have/know of any plans for building such a craft? Looks like a fun garage project that could be affordable and very useful.

4. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    somewhere, i do have the original plans for the sneak box. but the question is where! since i haven't done this for 30 years i am not sure i could find them. seems as though i got the originals online so maybe googling around will help. the boats are about 12' in length and about 4'wide so that is basically what you are looking for. construction was pretty standard: a 2x12 cut to the curve of the keel is made into a 'saw horse'; the ribs are cut, glued and bolted and then mounted to the 2x12; keel is cut in; faring of the ribs and laying on of the plywood then is done. nothing dramatic in terms of construction and a great durable boat results. guys used to ask us where we got them (we were avid, crazy duck hunters) and eventually we would agreed to build yet another. there are 14 of these floating around the PNWet.

5. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Media:
    Looks like a duck boat with oars to me....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scott

6. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I would say it is a Duck Boat with oars. I don't know how sea worthy or stream worthy but they work well in lakes.

Keith

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I think GT nailed it. It does look like a modified sneak box, which is a duck boat. I would suggest you go back to the web site and see if you can find a way to contact the guy with the blog. It may be his boat.

TC

8. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

Thanks for all the replies!! I'll have to look into those plans some time. I don't quite think I have the skills or equipment to build a boat, but for some reason that pic just looks like exactly what I need.

9. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    i would commonly be chasing ducks in gale force winds in the sneak box. big chop was not a problem and this was totally under oar power. its a great small boat, not too sure about fishing out of it as the seating arrangement was on the floor boards to get the profile as low as possible. i have seen this design offered up in glass at a couple of 'sportsman' shows. seems to me herters may have this design and perhaps cabelas in their hunting catalog.