What kind of Caddis is this?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by bulletsnhooks, Jul 7, 2012.

1. bulletsnhooks Pat Coleman

Ratings: +5 / 0
    My wife was checking the front of the house this morning to see what was hatchin and found this caddis. It was 29 mm long (head to wing tip, excluding antennae). We were thinking October Caddis, but the wings were more spotted than what we're used to and it's a little early for them to be coming off. Thanks in advance for any help. DSCN0425_crop.jpg
  2. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +112 / 0
    hi bulletsnhooks-

Very nice photo. Your wife's caddisfly is of family Phryganeidae (Giant Casemakers), and of genus Ptilostomis, and probably P. ocillifera, as that the only Philostomis species known from WA. The three light colored dots arranged in a triangular pattern on the wings are a highly visible clue to this genus. And, as this is a stillwater caddisfly, I assume you must live in fairly close proximity to a lake or pond.
  3. bulletsnhooks Pat Coleman

Thanks Taxon,

We knew it didn't quite look right to be an October Caddis. But....the nearest lake or pond to our house is approximately 2.5 miles away as the crow flies, we do however, have a stream a few hundred yards away and the Cowlitz is about .5 mile away.

Pat Coleman
  4. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +112 / 0
    hi bulletsnhooks-

It was likely from the stream a few hundred yards away, as Ptilostomis are also found in slower streams.
  5. bulletsnhooks Pat Coleman

It was definately from the stream closest to our house. The other night we were fishing it and noticed some of these big Caddis' coming off. We were just out in the yard watering flowers and one landed on my wife's shoulder and it was the same caddis as this morning. What's strange is the stream is your typical Westside Cascade stream and has very little slow water. Thanks for all the info!

PC
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

Ratings: +518 / 0