what kind of flies to walleye like ?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by cutthroat kid, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cutthroat kid cut throat kid

Gigharbor,WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Do they behave more like bass in what they eat and how they behave( so you would approach them like bass with poppers, crawdads ect

or can you use standard lake trout flies for walleye like scuds ,damsels, wooley buggers,
    does any one have any information on how to fly fish for walleyes ?

lots of other books on trout ect, but I cant find much for walleyes

any ideas would be appreciated
    jimmydub likes this.
  2. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    From what I understand, 'eyes can be caught on large streamers, especially at night or early morning/late evening. I haven't caught one on a fly yet, but I am thinking of targeting some of the Seep Lakes for them this year. I'm going to tie up a bunch of large (size 4-8) leech and baitfish patterns and fish those during low light.
  3. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Clousers and Decievers. I've seen them work first hand.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  4. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    I have no idea, but it's a safe bet they could be caught with a black wooly bugger.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    walleye in Moses Lake and the Potholes eat lots of minnows and crayfish. Pick your flies based on that.
  6. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Baitfish streamers

Grey ghost fly
  7. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Any big streamer looking like a perch, trout, bass, pretty much anything they can put in thier mouth.
  8. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I've heard of people getting action on topwaters for walleye, anyone ever seen this?

As for behavior, walleye are a schooling fish that tend to feed at night or low light. They target smaller fish, crayfish, and leeches primarily. I think they tend to stay deep during the day and cruise the shoals at night.
  9. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Size 4-8 streamers probably won't do it. Think 5''-7'' patterns. Any decent sized walleye can swallow a 12'' perch.
    Ed Call and Richard Torres like this.
  10. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ha, thanks for the challenge!

Here's a decent thread from another forum on walleye fishing. Sounds like location is more important than fly selection.

http://www.fliesandfins.com/postt739.html
    Richard Torres likes this.
  11. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Back in the olden days when I lived in Ontario , I used to catch a lot of walleye on an all yellow streamer . If I can find any yellow chenille , I`ll whip one up tonight .
  12. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    In ND we used wedding rings with live trout (rainbows). So a slightly flashy Minnow pattern, dark back and white belly?. Probably no need for trailing hooks, walleye tend to destroy their object of affection...i don't recall many short takes, but this was in the 80's...so details are fuzzy.
  13. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Good post JD. You are right about location. I've only fished for walleyes a couple of times with a friend on Moses Lake but before I went out I did some homework on them and found out through some vids is that they are structure huggers, rock piles, outcrops, shelves.
    jimmydub likes this.
  14. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Thanks, and that's some great input. It's not often this particular forum has discussions on walleye, so it's pretty cool to see the info flowing in.

Are there any particular leader materials that work better than others for catching 'eyes? Rocks and large teeth sort of point me towards heavier than normal line strength.
  15. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,259 / 0
    I usually pick up several a year by accident trout fishing, and even more when I'm going after smallies. At one point last spring during runoff the bows were hitting yellow streamers on the swing, and I incidentally noticed more attention from the wallys. Enlightened landed an eight pound walleye last year at banks lake while throwing top water on a floating line in two feet of water.
  16. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,259 / 0
    BTW any streamer should work. Yellow or white seem to be hot in right conditions, while some days black streamers are unbeatable. I get most of my incidental catches while throwing crawfish patterns on a fast sink for smallies in June, on Roosevelt(which can be phenomenal action). I usually cuss like it's a squawfish though. Fight like crap, and I wouldn't eat the poisoned flesh if you paid me.
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Any streamer maybe. Huge 7-12" streamer is money. I trust my friends dad, he is a walleye fishing expert.
  18. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Hmm, maybe to help the cutthroat kid (and anyone else curious), what kinds of rods/lines are we looking at for tossing 7-12" streamers? Sounds like some serious punch might be in order.

I often forget the size of the wallys over east. When I think of targeting them, I'm thinking of just catching some after a long day of trout fishing. I wasn't really considering they get to monstrous sizes, or how much fun that would be to tie into.
  19. pond monkey Member

Portland , Oregon area
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Walleyes also like Hexagenia nymphs and will gorge on them where/ when available...... sandy bottom areas mainly I believe in lakes and rivers...... many lakes in Minnesota have sandy portions and the Mighty Mississippi has lots of walleyes and lots of sandy bottom areas and huge populations of Hexagenis.... aka shad flies..... the hex mayflies can completely cover/ coat entire bridges ....
    jimmydub likes this.
  20. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Money...

Crawfish patterns (Crawl Daddy)...
    [IMG]

Baitfish (T&A Rainbow)...
    [IMG]

And a bit of everything going on (Sex Dungeon)...
    [IMG]

Check out Kelly Galloup's streamer patterns. I think you would have good luck with walleye on a lot of them.
    Richard Torres likes this.