What kind of spey rod to choose?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by KEM, Feb 28, 2008.

1. KEM

KEM Member

Media:
    I want to buy my first spey rod, what should I buy. I curently own the Winston BIIX Switch rod and love it. But I am going to the spey level now. I've been looking at the TFO Deer Creek rods. Whats your take on these rods?

2. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I think the Deer Creek rods are an excellent choice. For just a bit less you might also look at the Echo Classics. Either of these brands will serve you well when setup with a matched line in the right weight.

If you have a local shop that carries either of these brands I would tell them you want to take a test drive and try the model of your choice out on the water.

3. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

I cast (I believe) the Deer Creek 13' 6/7 when I was getting help with my casting from Mike Kinney. We also worked with the Meiser MKS 13'6" 7/8. I would consider the TFO Deer Creek a pretty fast rod. Capability-wise, it would be all the speyrod I would ever need for the eastside, though I would, like yourself, also want a switch rod for detail work. It could be pressed into service for light winter steelheading on the westside with the understanding that there exists the potential to have your tackle tested if you hook a strong fish. I have to say that I'm a fan of Bob Meiser & Mike Kinneys' collaborations, and Bob's rods in general. Meiser's are more money, but well worth it when you find a rod that does exactly what want.

4. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    KEM, ive cast all, and fished, alot of the deer creek rods, and the 13' 7/8 could fish all year around for summer and winter fish, tips and mid belly lines, great rod!

5. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    bhudda, what grain skagit line would you put on that rod?

6. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I bought the 13' 7/8 at the end of last year and have a 500gr SA Skagit line on it. It casts great, although many recommend a 550gr Skagit. I like the way it casts and more importantly I already had this line for my 12'6" Rainshadow.

I believe that the Airflo Delta casts well on this and these rods have a pretty wide grain window, so there are many options.

You won't go wrong with a Deer Creek rod, like Bhudda I've cast them all and will probably add the smaller 12'6" 5/6 to the quiver at some point down the road. If you're in the area, come out to the spey casting sessions on the weekend and try before you buy. It's much easier that way to get a feel for the rod on the water!

Echo rods are also good, although I haven't cast them much. I think I did at the Sandy last year, but can't recall for sure.

7. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I primarily fish the Echo Classic rods that Poppy mentioned and have had a lot of success and fun with them over the last year. The 6126 is a sweet rod and I have bonded with it for summer fishing. I have matched it with 6/7 Delta as well as a 450 Airflo Skagit Compact. I also fished the 7130 and 9140 quite a bit last Fall and like them as well. They carry a moderate action and you will find them very versatile if you want to cast both scandi, skagit and moderate length heads like a Delta or Windcutter.

I have only casted the Deer Creek once and found it very fun to cast as well. When the Decho rods from Echo come out I would recommend casting one of them as well as the Classic, Deer Creek and TFO Professional. They are all great rods within the same general price range.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    In your opinion, how are the actions of the TFO Deer Creek and the TFO Professional similar and/or different?

Thanks!

9. FT

FT Active Member

Richard,

There is a lot of difference in how the two cast. The Deer Creek's have a stiffer tip than the Professional series, which moves more of the casting load into the middle of the rod despite being a fast to medium fast series of rods. The Deer Creek series also have a bit less progression in the butt, which means the butt comes into play sooner than on the Professional series - note: this doesn't mean the Deer Creeks have a wimpy butt, just that the butt comes into play a bit faster than with the Professionals.

These differences translate into the Deer Creek being happy with a wider variety of lines since the stiffer, stronger tip helps them pick up more line and helps the rods keep more grains in the air. Thus, they have a wider grain window. This also means, that they are more of a mid-flex rod than the Professional series, but they are still fast to medium-fast rods. The slightly less progressive butt (what is known as slight regression in the taper) means the butt helps to rod to launch casts. All-in-all, the Deer Creeks are very user friendly rods that will serve all but the best and most experience spey casters for a lifestime.

The Professional series have a softer tip than the Deer Creeks, are more a lower-tip flex, and have a stiffer butt than the Deer Creeks. This means they have a smaller grain window because the softer tip doesn't allow them to carry as many grains since the tip will wimp out before the butt of the rod can really get involved in supporting more grains. The stiffer butt also means that they don't launch a cast the same way the Deer Creek series do.

The Deer Creek's feel faster without being stiff than the Professionals as well. And the Deer Creeks feel much more refined in their actions when cast.

10. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

Media:
    I would just go buy a Z axis and play with the big boys. You got the loot whats the hold up? "thats why I sit on this side of the desk" I remember hearing that.

11. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have not fished the Deer Creek, only casted it. I do however still fish my TFO 8126 and previously owned a 6126. Like FT stated they are faster then the Prof and in my opinion faster then the Echo Classic. I do not know what your casting preference is, but if you like a more moderate action rod then you would like the Classic more. If you like a faster rod then the Deer Creek or Prof is a better species for you.

You do not need to spend big bucks to get a good spey rod and the fish certainly do no care what stick you are casting. There are many quality mid-price range spey rods on the market now that warrant the consumer to cast a few before a big purchase.

12. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Neither is really a fast rod, more moderate action, although Deer Creek line maybe a bit faster. I held off for a couple of reasons on the TFO Spey Pro's:

1. Deer Creek rods are designed by Mike Kinney and Bob Meiser and similar to Bob's rods, which are twice as much as the TFO's.
    2. I was lucky enough to cast a few protypes and knew they would be worth the wait!

Whichever you get from TFO or Echo you'll be fine. Just get the line matched to the rod, what you're planning on using it for and your casting style. Luckily once you choose a rod you can ask what line(s) match up best for that rod you chose!

I have a few TFO single handed rods, 2 5wt Pro's and an 8wt Pro. I'm very happy with all of them and am not planning on replacing them anytime in the near future. I do the majority of my trout fishing here and all over MT with my 5wt's!

Have fun figuring out what you want for your new rod!
    Bill :cool:

13. KEM

KEM Member

Media:
    Wow, thanks for the response once again! You guys are totally on it for sure! Jergens always has good advice since he is an adict to catching huge fish (FYI). LBC has seen a lot of fish and has a lot of experience. I'm working on it, but I'm getting there...Thanks again...

14. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

Media:
    KEM: Well, I guess I got you fooled.

Steelie.... Yeah, I was giving KEM a little sh!t I agree with you 100%, the fish don't seem to bite if Im throwing a $600.00 rod or a $100.00 rod.

Good luck with your purchase.

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Lots of good info above .... but maybe one more bit.

The Sandy River Spey 'Clave (yes, that's the proper spelling of the word) comes up in early May. You'll have hundreds of different rods/line combo's etc., to play with. And with price ranges from 'that's all?' to HOW MUCH WAS THAT AGAIN????

16. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Fred , with such an internet personality:) , im suprised i missed meeting you last year at the sandy clave? haha , i was one of them young punks...

KEM , a 500/550 wt line as stated above will work fine with that rod.

DO IT MAN!!! JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    jeffrey- which do you like best on it(the 13') the 500 or 550?

18. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
  19. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Been there (the 'Clave) since it's beginning .... well, did miss two years ago when some clown decided that 'stop signs' were optional. Didn't get 2 blocks from my front door and WHAM! That took care of my trip to Portland ......:beathead:

20. sickclown

sickclown Banned or Parked

I have a tfo finesse and I love it for trout. I bought the cheapest spey rod I could find and I don't mind it at all. It's a cabela's. It's lighter then the other rods I've tried. It's action seems perfect. I can get out all the fly line. Probably because it's the rod I learned with. My advice - Go to a local fly shop and try thier rods out. If they are any good they will take you to a nearby stream and teach you how to spey cast for no charge. They will also let you try whatever sytle of spey rod they carry. It sounds like you have some money to spend to get a good one. Take your time. Sample real rods in your hands with professionals to show you how. You don't have to buy them but they will probably hook you up with a reel and some good spey line with backing and maybee a leader for cheaper then you think.