what kinds of flies does one use for whitefish ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cutthroat kid, Nov 16, 2013.

1. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

what kinds of techniques and flies does one use for white fish if they wanted to target them for fun in the winter ?

2. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    Beadheaded nymphs under an indicator. I'm sure someone else will be able to elaborate a little more on what specific nymphs to use.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Smaller BH soft hackle flies (#14 is a good size) fished (maybe nymphed using an incicator) near the bottom in deeper runs and pools.

4. Duane J

Duane J Member

Hitch hiking on Jim's and Travis' input I have always done well with size 14 BH soft hackle ant. Red abdomen, black thorax with grizzly hackle. Another proven (for me) is a size 12 butcher. Red body palmered with black wet grade hackle. Since I can feel better than see I skipped the strike indicator and go with leader no longer than 7'.

5. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Any fly with peacock in it ....

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I found a sure way to catch Whitefish here in Montana. Just stick a size 20 Red Zebra nymph as your trailing fly. Works like a charm. They won't hit the black fly like the red one.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

You would have a hard time going wrong with a BH Prince Nymph in 12 or 14.

Ive

plaegreid likes this.
  8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I think someone else just asked this same question (I think) a few weeks ago or so...

Might check the search option in the upper right. Not sure what the thread title was though.

9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Usually when my primary target is trout, I catch a lot of whitefish! Any nymph seems to be attractive to them.

10. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Got a nice one on a pink weenie today.

11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Back home all we ever used were Gray Hackle Yellows & Gray Hackle Reds. I've done well with those out here too, the few times I've targeted Whitefish.

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't think the fly is as important as finding a school and getting a good presentation to them. Then they can be a little difficult to hook since often the bit is very quick and you don' have much time for a hookset. Just like reading water for trout or steelhead, they definitely have preferred holding water and that is the key to catching them.

13. gator1954

gator1954 New Member

I catch a lot of whitefish in the winter with a Barr's Tung Teaser ( I like a size 14 ). Any beadhead fished on, or close to the bottom will most likely catch a few fish. For the last couple of weeks egg patterns have fished well on the Crooked and Deschutes Rivers here in Oregon, egg patterns will fish well until late January. I believe the key is to get your fly deep in the water column.

14. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

STH70798.JPG STH70727.JPG STH70727.JPG View attachment 35234

I use this fly (bottom photo) because when it gets wet it looks like that (middle of top photo) which resembles these bugs (top photo), which are a favorite snack of Klickitat River whitefish. This is a size 10 hook and matches the standard size skawala stone very well. Unfortunately the Klickitat River has a size 14 hook restriction now, but this fly in a 14 is still a whitey killer. Tom

freestoneangler likes this.
  15. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

When I see whitefish I want to catch, I toss ona beadhead prince nymph....always gets em.....

16. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    tinman207 speaks big gospel. A prince nymph (beadhead or regular) is whitefish candy. As someone else mentioned earlier, anything peacock on it. I think the white wings and the silver rib on the prince nymph help, as well. Size? 14, as the whitefish have those itty bitty mouths...

17. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

If you want to teach a fly fisher how to nymph, there is no better place than the stretch of the Madison River at the end of Ghost Village Road . Take the road until it ends in a small parking lot. Walk directly across to the Madison River above Quake Lake. This section is filled with whitefish.

Any fly that gets to the bottom will catch fish. "A" marks Ghost Village Road on the map below.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ghos...est Yellowstone, Gallatin, Montana 59758&z=15

18. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Small Lightningbug under strike indicator. If they are around it's hard to keep them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Yep what they all said!

I have done well on the Green from Hwy 18 up river and also on the Snoqualmie (main) from fall city up. Actually my brother and I went to fall city to opposite side of raging river the other day, parked at ball field and went to river to fish. I kept seeing something rise and to my surprise a snagged a decent whitefish there.

As said once above you find a school, it is so much fun. Just think nymphing for trout and enjoy. Some of my biggest have been out of the Snoqualmie, for quantity has been the Green.

William

20. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

GOLD RIB HARE'S EAR. SIZE 14 OR 16.