What knot for Waddington loop?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by BDD, Aug 23, 2009.

1. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    Hey folks,

I'm making my first attempt at tying on Waddington shanks and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on what knot to use to create the loop in the Fireline to complete the loop?

Thanks.
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Get yourself a piece of Fireline.
    Bend in half.
    Feed loop through trailing hook.
    Bring hook through loop.
    Pull loop tight to hook.

So to secure it to the wad I just tie it down, smear with super glue and then bend the tag back and secure again. Repeat with other side.
  3. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    Really?

I was way off in my thinking but unfortunately, not the first time. I thought you create the loop on the Fireline with a knot and then used a loop to loop to connect the Wad and the trailing hook. I thought the whole idea of using a Wad shank was to eliminate having to tie in and super glue the Fireline to the Wad shank?

By doing it the way you explained (super glue and tie it off), couldn't you just use a hook and cut off the point? It doesn't seem as strong doing it that way and appears to eliminate the advantage of using a Waddington shank?

Anyway, thanks for your response. I guess I didn't know as much as I thought I did. :rofl:
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Big_E's method of tying in a loop so you can change your hooks works great for any stinger tied on a clipped hook shank, cotter pin shank or waddington (I guess). I've seen guys use a portion of junction tubing on the tail eye of the waddingtons. They run their tipped through the head eye alongside the outside of the fly through the rear eye, tie off to a hook using knot of preference, then join the rear waddington eye and hook eye by the junction tubing. I've been told it fishes well and when hit the hook and fly separate and the hook is free from the fly and the fly can last longer. I've tied a few tubes, clipped hook shanks and cotter pins. So far I've been too cheap to invest in any waddingtons.

When I tie in my stinger loops I don't add the super glue (or any other glue). I just wrap the stinger loop material to the shank, wrap it back through the eye to the opposite side of the shank and wrap it again. I've failed to separate one at the bench using tools and pulling hella hard. No fish is pulling those loops out.

I have also seen guys that tie a single overhand knot on each end of the stinger loop. They wrap it back to front leaving the knots too large to pull through. I prefer folding it over though.
  5. Ron Crawford ===

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I do the same thing as Big E but use a longer piece of fireline so that the front tag ends can run up and through the eye end of the waddington and then fold back toward the hook. Once the tips are folded back I give it a lot of thread wraps and call it good. No super glue. I figure that bend back through the eye will hold it really secure.
  6. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Interesting concept, I like it. I suppose if you make a loop with a double surgeon's and then feed it through the waddington loop at the end, it would allow you to add the trailer the same way. never thought of that...:thumb:

7. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    I have always used a loop to connect the two and often go with multiple Waddingtons or a tube between hook and Wadd.... Big rainbows late in the year like a huge mouthful of fur...

Pike used to be a target with them, but the shanks are too pricey and pike too non-selective...
  8. hap Member

Anchorage, Alaska
    Oh, and I usually have several different length shanks tied up and it seems the rainbows like them reasonable sometimes, but not always...