Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What knot to use on upturned eye fly hooks ?

4K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  dogsnfish 
G
#1 ·
I'm interested to see what people use to tie on upturned eye flys to the Tippet for steelhead fishing..

#4 ·
I used to think the knot I use is the double turle, but I learned here online a few years ago that it isn't. But it's sorta' like it. Very simple to tie, and quite strong, comparing favorably with the improved clinch knot. What I like about it, aside from being simple, is the tippet projects forward straight out the eye of the hook. Works equally well for up or down-eyed hooks.

Sg

#38 ·
I used to think the knot I use is the double turle, but I learned here online a few years ago that it isn't. But it's sorta' like it. Very simple to tie, and quite strong, comparing favorably with the improved clinch knot. What I like about it, aside from being simple, is the tippet projects forward straight out the eye of the hook. Works equally well for up or down-eyed hooks.

Sg
i tye a knot similiar to a turle knot. Im thinking this is the same knot.
I like the way my fly swims with the line coming straight out the eye.

#17 ·
I only use three knots total. Fly to tippet is a clinch knot, I don't like the "improved" version. Tippet to leader I only use a triple surgeon. Depending on my mood, I use a non slip mono on certain flies. Upturned eyes is usually one of those certain ones.

#22 ·
Salmo,
After looking at a couple of on line knot turorials I've concluded that what I've always tied as a Double Turle knot may not be the real thing, but I've tied and fished it for many years on both turned-up and turned-own eyes without any problems. I learned to tie it from a sticker on the back of an old Perrine aluminum fly box.

#23 ·
I tie the Turle knot when fishing dries, particularly small ones to avoid crushing the hackles with my fingers. Then use the Improved Clinch for everything else. I like the idea of the line pulling straight through the eye, though I don't have any evidence this helps with a successful hook set. This summer I am playing with slip and non-slip loops to see if they improve my nymphing at all.

#25 ·
Plaegreid,

You got one fast monkey.

Preston,

It was the online videos that showed me that my traditional knot apparently isn't a double turle. The knot I use was shown to me by Dawn Holbrook at one of the WFC's fly tying classes shortly after Roy Patrick died. The knot is dead simple, consisting of two overhand knots around the standing line, the second on top of the first, and equals or exceeds the strength of my blood knots that join my tippet to the rest of my leader.

Sg

#29 ·
I use the San Diego jam knot for streamers because it is very fast to tie and stronger than either clinch knot.
For a loop knot I like the perfection knot because is faster to tie and stronger than the none slip loop. I test
my knots by tying the knots in competition with each loop knot or clinch knot to determine the winner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.