What liine for 10 wt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mulligan, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I'm heading to Costa Rica next week and just picked up a Sage RPLXi. I understand that it may be ideal to get multiple line setups, but I don't have the funds to buy multiple new spools for my Lamson.

While I may get after the sailfish at some point, this rod clearly won't be used for them. This will be used for inshore fishing for rooster and further out for dorado (hopefully tuna as well). Is there a single line that would work for both? Favorite brand/model? I've heard good things about the Rio Tarpon line.

Anyone tried to get 10-11 wt line with a ton of gel spun onto the Lamson 3.5?

Thanks for the info guys.

Stephen
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +523 / 0
    So many lines out there someone will chime in and offer great advice. You got yourself a nice rod, was it a 3 or 5 piece?
  3. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Unfortunately a 2-piece. I had to jump on the deal because I'm only a few days out from leaving on the trip. Doesn't affect me in most situations, but I think I'll have to check it unless I get one of those friendly flight attendents ;)
  4. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    The drag system on a reel is the big issue when you are after roosterfish, sails, etc. This ususally means a cork, or composite full disk. Gel Spun will provide enough backing.
    Les Johnson
  5. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Yes, my question about the Lamson is more about fitting enough (300+) line/backing onto the 3.5 reel. The drag system of the Lamson should hold up, but I do want to make sure I will be able to fit enough line/backing on it.
  6. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +728 / 2
    You're going to be pushing it with that 3.5. Pretty small for a 10 wt line and LOTS of backing. I love my 3.5 but wouldn't rely on it for slowing a big Rooster, Dorado, or Tarpon. Nice reels but she might just get smoked chasing what you'll be chasing down there.
  7. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    The easiest thing to do is pick up a new line, stick it on the reel, and see how much room you have for backing. I'm going to guess there won't be much room. The 3.5 is bit small, in my opinion, if you expect to stick a WF10 line on it. Depending on your casting abilities, you may want to consider uplining that RPLXi by one weight to WF11. Obviously that exacerbates the backing quantity issue.

If you're going the one line route, I would recommend a shooting head setup. Running line is pretty reasonable, and you can pick up it and a few different heads for a tad more than what you pay retail for a full line. A nice benefit of the shooting head setup is the running line and shooting head take up less volume on the reel spool than a comparable weight standard fly line. That would address, or help, some of your concerns about backing capacity on your reel. I use shooting heads/running lines on my 1090-3RPLXi and my TFO TiCr 1090-4. Although I highly recommend them, especially given what you described, casting shooting heads is a whole different gig than casting standard fly lines, and shooting heads aren't for everyone.

If you're not a shooting head person and only want to go one line, I would recommend a WF11 intermediate. I'm an SA kinda guy, so those are my preferred lines. However, Cortland, Orvis, Rio, and Airflo all make fly lines that work just fine. Along with my shooting head setup, there are times when a standard floating or standard intermediate line is a good choice, so I have those on hand, as well.

One other item about backing capacity. If you decide to go the standard fly line route, the length of the line will probably be 90-105' long, depending on the model and brand. That's a whole lot of line to cast. You might consider cutting 10' or so off the back of the line, to gain extra volume for backing.

Gel spun will be fine. Get the 50# for your use, white. I believe it's diameter is fairly similar to that of 30 pound dacron.

Good luck!
  8. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Thanks for the advice guys. Not sounding good though, because I can't afford to buy a new salt reel. And, there are no damn fly fishing shops in Richmond!!

Again, thanks for the input.
  9. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    If you pay for the postage from Hawaii, I'll let you borrow an Abel super 10 or something else I don't use anymore. I've got a few reels you can borrow. (I'm a Galvan guy now). Make sure you send it back once you hit American soil or I'll have to unleash my hit squad.:D PM me and I'll give you my phone number. We don't want one of our own losing a big rooster with a midget reel! I lived in VA for a spell, testing scuba equipment for the USMC combat diver test site in Quantico. I fell in love with the Shenandoah River and it's smallmouth bass. The St. Johns wasn't bad either. Harry Murray was a gem of a guy in his duel pharmacist/fly shop owner role in Edinburg. Coach
  10. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Reel is on the way. Great talking with you today and thanks for the flies. You're a fly-fishing bro like they are supposed to be Mulligan. Tight lines and good Rooster fishing. The Coach
  11. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    You don't have to have a separate spool for every line. I sometimes swap lines daily when I'm on an extended trip and the conditions and species are changing. I just carry my extra lines coiled up in ziplock bags and spool them up as necessary.

You'll be glad Coach hooked you up with a decent reel. I've used the Lamsons for smaller stuff (small dorado and tuna up to about 10 pounds), but they're just toys for anything bigger.

Where in CR are you fishing out of?
  12. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +523 / 0
    Yes, I'm a believer too! I have the T-6 and love it and will eventually change out my 8 weight reel. Great Product and so much sturdier than they appear. :beer2:
  13. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    I'm going to be based out of Tamarindo, North Pacific Coast. The bill fishing gets all the attention, so it's been hard to determine what the smaller game will be like. I'm open to either, but the smaller game will be more friendly on the pocket book.

Hmm, I thought the Lamsons had a pretty solid drag system. The cones don't match up to the cork, carbon etc of other salt specific reals?

Either way, thanks a ton to Coach for hookin it up. Hopefully I'll bring back some fish stories, or at least some good memories to share.
  14. Chad Helms New Member

Brinnon, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Tamarindo is a great little surfer town. My wife and I spent a couple of night there on our honeymoon. I wish I could remember who we fished with but I lined it up with a charter co. that is located on the right side as you enter the cul-de-sac in the town center. I want to say his name is Frank, but I think he went to college in Texas and spent some time in the states . He was a great captain and put us on several sails and some smaller yellowfin that we kept for dinner and took with us to our friend's house that we were staying at Lake Arenal. You will love Costa Rica!!!!!!
    Chad
  15. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Did you fish Lake Arenal at all? That's definitely on my list as well. Some nice Guapote in there from what I've heard.
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    I'm wicked late into this post but I have a friend that uses a cortland 444 multi tip line on his 10w. He also uses some 50# propower braided line as his backing due to the tiny diameter. His 50# has the diameter of about 15# mono, way thinner than the dacron and I'm thinking thinner than the gel spun too. He can get a full 300 yd spool of this propower (I think that is the name) as backing and his flyline on his large arbor reel. I think he has an Okuma, not sure what model. I'm not a blue water fisherman, but sure would like to take a trip someday and figure that if his system is one that seems to make some sense I can duplicate it. What do you all think? Thanks.