What line are you using on your 7136-4?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ed Call, May 9, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I briefly tried a few lines that I have already in hand on a new to my Z-Axis 7136-4. A few of them worked decently with my lack of skill while others were clearly not the right ticket. I contacted Sage and they recommended a Rio AFS 550 with a 2 1/2' cheater. I don't have that line but a skagit head in that weight did seem to load the rod well. I also don't have any cheaters, nor have I any experience using them.

I plan to use this rod from the beach this summer/fall and of course will try futile flailing on some summer steelhead runs. I have no preference on long belly, mid belly, scandi, skagit or anything else for that matter. If you have a combo that works well, I'll gladly read your input.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. When I get the time I also will hit Aaron's day on the river on a Saturday and/or All About The Fly's sessions on Sunday. I just want to have something that might be servicable for my limited skills before going there.

2. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    I like the 480 compact skagit, I do tend toward the lighter side of the grain window, so if you do so try it. I've heard of others using 600grn Skagits or more. For summer fishing just stick with AFS or Scandi, much more pleasant to cast and a better full floater or light tip system. In that case, I've found the 420 compact scandi with 15' poly or mono leader works very well.

You didn't mention winter fishing...this is a great winter rod.

3. Ed Call

Media:
    Don't tell Dinker that this could be my winter rod too, he'll start bugging me for my TFO Deer Creek that he tried out on the Hoh. Dude was hucking major smooth casts all the way across the river with my rod.

4. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Just keep it, it's always nice to have a back up. If your not currently using a cheater with your Deer Creek and it's about the same length, you won't want/need to use a cheater on this rod.

Personally, I don't get cheaters either...and when someone uses a cheater on a compact Skagit, thats really mind bogeling. I like to adjust my casting stroke and timing to the head lenght not the other way around.

James.

5. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Hey Mumbles...I heard that! We'll just see about what rod I have come next winter........:D

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Several months ago, I downloaded a chart from somewhere (Senior moment) but the line recommendations for your rod are as follows: Skagit tips, 500, 5ft., AFS 6/7, Windcutter A for advanced casters 6/7/8, B for Beginning to Intermediate 7/8/9, Rio WF 9, Powerspey A - 6/7, B-7/8. I would always recommend the Outbound for the beach. I'm not a regular River guy but I would go with the Windcutter for what that's worth. I have this chart for about 100 different rods, new and old, if anyone else is interested.

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    for summer work i would get a scandi compact about 450 or so, and for tips i have been using a 510 compact skagit with 10' t-11 and 14 tips, you'll love that rod, it's a rocket launcher.

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Great input here and in my PM's thank you all very much.

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    i will second Joe's advice , i was scrolling down to say the 510 would be dialed for that rod, cnd makes a good head in that grain wt. that would match also, compact or cnd head all the way, add dryline tips for summer!

10. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mumbles, damn you- when did you get this rod? I'm jonesin' fer the same stick, and even tried to convince my wife she needed one for Mother's Day (she doesn't fish, nor does she have any desire to learn). Anyway, I will file this thread for a future day when I too can ponder which lines to get.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound spiteful or envious. I really am happy for you.
    Damn you.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Had this particular rod on a list from some trusted sources as the ONE to have if you could only have ONE. I got lucky and now I have ONE. The thing I lack is talent to cast it but with any luck I'll hone that someday. If not I'm sure there will be many in line to happily take it off my hands.

Had some good reading to the girls today from a new book...they like Chuck and Sockeye Jack.

12. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    No doubt you'll be slinging tight loops with the new rod soon. I hear it does all the work for you, and even a fool can cast it, which is exactly why I plan to get one ; )

(Cool about "Clark" and "Sockeyed Jack")

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    7136....I'm getting wood.

ed, treat her nice she'll be good to you.

14. Ed Call

Media:
    Teach me how to cast her and I'll buy you beer. With limited instruction FlyBill had me putting some line out on my TFO Deer Creek 8/9. I hope to get a few casts out of ten to fishable water.

15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ed,

remember the 480 skagit head? Put a 14' polyleader on it, then you will have a very nice summer (Scandi) set up for swing small flies.

16. Ed Call

Media:
    I have three of the suggestions in my backpack ready for another trial launch on Friday! Thanks to all for the replies and PM's.

17. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Did you get this rod from the classifieds here? If so you beat me to it. I was going to buy it for Itchy for Mo's Day. I guess I'll have to buy the blank and wrap one for myself.

Wayne

18. Ed Call

Media:
    Sorry Wayne...and Itchy. I saw it and had to have it.

19. Itchy Dog

Media:
    Home Page:
    I tried buying one from a guy in the classifieds but he never got back to me. Looks like Mumbles snapped it up. Probably best, I got no right owning a nice rod like that.

Wayne, thanks for the gesture- my wife would have really liked that for Mo's Day ; )

Maybe for our anniversary in August.