What line to use

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by William Wallace, May 8, 2008.

1. I was naming lines as examples of lines that I have used and that will do the job. If only I could get fish to bite on an offering as easily as my friends on this BB.
    Cheers,
    Les

2. I think this has been a valuable thread to read. For my 5wt I have floating, intermediate sink and full sink lines on separate spools. I also have a 6wt floating that I use when quite windy as I can get it to load and cast better. Since that is my only 6wt line I use some sinking heads that I made which vary in length to just get down a touch with a short one all the way to a pretty long one for deeper presentations. This seems to work well for me and I've been contemplating creating similar options for my 8wt. For that rod I only have a floating and full sink. I have seen some anglers with the fully clear intermediate lines mentioned here and think that would be a good investement for me. I'm also looking for a line that will have the best castability as many of the locations I have been fishing seem to have fish just out of reach. I've heard that the sharkskin line casts wicked far, but that it's abrasive texture will tear up your stripping finger. Are any of the long clear intermediates really long casting? Has anyone used the sharkskin with any satisfaction? I could easily get it to sink by using the sinking heads as I hear it floats quite high due to the air trapped on the textured surface of the line. Also, what about the interchangable tip lines, are they quality lines with the varied tips, or is it better to stick to dedicated lines for different situations? Thanks for all the info here and for any other recommendations on what my next 8wt line should be.