What line would you put...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Media:
    What floating line would you put on an 11'3" Redington CPX, 8 weight switch rod, mostly for nymphing with an indicator for steel? How about for swinging? Anybody cast this thing yet? Jeff

2. Coonhound Jed

Coonhound Jed New Member

Media:
    Floating line foe nymphing? Sage indicator taper. Floating line for swinging? either beulah's elixir scando or a rio skagit short. I dont nymph but i heard the indicator taper is sweet if thats all you are doing.
    jed

3. Speyfly

Speyfly New Member

Media:
    I haven't tried the rod yet but I personally like a skagit head on switch rods for swinging and nymphing.

4. hook jaw

hook jaw New Member

I've not used this exact rod, but a couple ideas on similar 11' 8 weight switches.

Swinging: Something around 20' and 500 grains. The Rio Skagit short at 475 is in the discussion as is getting a 650 grain skagit head and cutting it back to about 500 grains. I did the latter for a Sage 8110 and then looped on 11' of T-10. Perfect.

For nymphing, I've heard good things about using the Rio Steelhead line in a 9/10 or so. If you think you'll want to nymph at distance, having a bit longer belly is useful.

Try before you buy, but that should put you very close.

HJ

5. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    I ain't the smoothest switchcaster around, but that rod really liked a 32' 420gr head in my hands, as well as those of a few more experienced casters.

The Indicator taper is a great line for (duh) indicator fishing with switches, but the SA Sharkskin in steelhead taper is the cat's meow too.