What Lines Have You Been Fishing?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steelie Mike, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    So I am bored and am wondering what lines you have been fishing? I do not care about skagit heads because it is like comparing Rainier Beer to PBR. Not to mention why the hell anyone would fish a skagit line in August anyway. Personally I have been playing with a Carron 75 with a little Airflo Rage thrown in just to get a feel for it. The Airflo Scandi on the switch is fun as well. I still need to get my hands on a Guideline MMD and Ace Slide to play with this summer too. What are you guys tinkering with?

2. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Carrons are sweet lines mike...55. 65 and yours...I am fishing smaller rivers and while I fish with a guy who uses it exclusively on there...I'm not as good a caster, my left hand high sucks and I got tired of fuking with it and the bushes...but of all mid and long bellied lines IMO it's the nicest one I've used..

I fish 99% of the time a 45' nextcast W.A. line as I can go floating or tip easily...casts well even in strong wind and is the best compromise line I have found...I was thinking of putting a steelhead scandi on this weekend to see how it was but to be honest, it's pretty much the same as the nextcast but the nextcast casts better...
    just thought a little shorter head that took polys might be worth trying..

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Ive been running a 480 rage on my 7126 TCX since runoff subsided. Since I do 90% of my fishing after work I deal with a lot of shitty upstream wind and that line is just awesome for that. Equally impressed by its ability to toss 10' of t8 and lightly weighted tube as well. It's been a fun line to fish without dealing with the Scandi crumple when the wind rips...

I'm about to pick up a fall favorite 45 for skating dries on the big river this fall. Torn between the 6/7 and the 7/8

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    When fishing tips, and I have been, I use a Skagit. That is just the best all around tip delivery vehicle for me. Otherwise I'm using a short belly floater of 50-55', depending on line weight. I do have a Vector I got for my 5 wt Spey Tracker, but haven't used it yet. Soon though.

Sg

5. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

I've been loving a 510 Airflo Rage on my 7wt TR. It's an easy line to cast for an intermediate caster like myself. With the water as low and clear as it has been lately I've been using a 14' polyleader with about 4' of 8lb. flourocarbon, even with that long of a tip the rage seems to handle the wind well.

6. inland

inland Active Member

Windcutter 7/8/9 recently for summer SH. Summer atlantics I primarily used a GPS 8/9 and Carron 65' 10/11. Upcoming Scotland trip will be a GPS full inti 10/11 or GPS 10/11 and 11/12 for tips. Fall steelhead will mostly see CND DT 7-9/9-11 and Carron 95'. GPS 7/8 for the lightline two handers.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

For a full on floater I've yet to cast a line that beat the Carron's. That said, a 55' head is long enough for me where I usually fish. That aside, the normal rod for ST's and sinking poly leaders are Steve Gotshall's (Medford, Oregon) custom cuts. These lines are individually done for THE rod and the caster's 'style.' You can get them just as heads or as a full line. Won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf.

You and I have the same rod, would be most unusual if we got the exact same line.

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

For a full on floater I've yet to cast a line that beat the Carron's. That said, a 55' head is long enough for me where I usually fish. That aside, the normal rod for ST's and sinking poly leaders are Steve Gotshall's (Medford, Oregon) custom cuts. These lines are individually done for THE rod and the caster's 'style.' You can get them just as heads or as a full line. Won't cost you a penny more than something off the shelf.

You and I have the same rod, would be most unusual if we got the exact same line.

9. kjsteelhead

kjsteelhead Member

I've been fishing the Rage on a couple of my rods this summer, too. I do like the way it casts and lays out floating and sinking poly leaders. Even though it's billed as a floating head, the Rage does tend to sink a bit, especially in slower water.

Also, I've been playing with an Ambush line on a 10 foot, 6wt. Ordella one-hander that has a long fighting butt. The Ambush has turned that rod into a fun little semi-switch rod. Got the idea from Gary Sandstrom.

10. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    most of my summer run fishing is with a single handed rod but broke out the switch last week and tried the Rage with a floating polyleader. was very impressed with it, especially dealing with a hard upstream wind fishing wakers.

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    CND GPS 4/5, 5/6 on 12-15 feet rods. Have a lot of fun to play with GPS lines on longer rods.
    Also cutting some small 15' skagit heads for dry tips on 9' to 10' rods.

12. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Still prefer the original cnd Skagit's, right now a 8/9 GPS,for Clearwater15' 8/9 winter authority for the 8 wt 13-6, 970 grain cnd comp line for another 15 footer to be used on Clearwater next month..

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been all about the rio Scandi short VersiTip as of late

14. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    RIO steelhead scandi

15. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I almost pulled the trigger on the 530gr the other day. I don't really care for the longer lines that I have thrown in the past (powerspey, windcutter, etc), but I keep hearing good things about these Nextcast lines. Been throwing the old standbye lately, AFS 7/8 on my 7136 Z.

16. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I recently picked up a 360 grain Ambush Triangle Taper shooting head for my Echo 5 weight switch rod. I have used it for fishing surface flies with a 9 - 10 foot monofilament leader, as well as un-weighted flies with T-8 Mow tips. So far, I am pretty satisfied.

17. Zeb Stadler

Zeb Stadler Member

Home Page:
    Besides the airflo scandi heads (which i really dig) i cast the nextcast F.F., pretty sweet line, real smooth. still haven't tried the carron stuff- that's my next move. until the delta 2 heads come out.... oh did i say that?

18. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

FYI .. Delta tips a line weight lighter work nicely on the rage...I flip between the rage and nextcast on my boo rod...hard choice as both are nice on there..

19. Zeb Stadler

Zeb Stadler Member

Home Page:
    RiverWatch? What model?

20. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Media:
    Home Page:
    been playing with SA's evolution, a 50-54' head line that ive been pretty impressed with. the particular setup ive been fishing is the 470gr 6/7 on a vision cult dh 13'4'' 7wt. otherwise, its the guideline MMD60 (mickey d) on either the 1409 or 1509 T&T. solid turnover on both these lines with tapers that want to wedge for you.