What makes a good spey rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by BDD, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mike kinney

mike kinney Member

Rich I thought you were right on!The reason for a thread like this is to educate us all.Sometimes we forget a point or we think about things in a different way that may lead us down a path with amuch narrower view.I think agood rod is all of these things and more.For me because I cast and teach a lot of different styles and different types of lines,I like a rod that is very versitle so I can use it for every thing.Some very good rods out there do one thing very well but are only so so with others.If a persons style of line and casting match them then it's a good one.Another point that matters to me is fit and finish and cosmetics.If I am going to pay big money for a rod I want it to look like it is worth the money and feels comfortable to me.If we put all of these things together we not only have a good rod we have an exceptional rod.
    Kevin about 15 words per min.
    Thanks MBKinney

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

BBD,
    I've been on this same quest for the last month or so. After a few general posts, some pm's to knowledgeable people like Fred, and a lot of reading, I called Bob Meiser. I would have to say my experience w/ him was excellent. He spent 30-45 minutes talking to me. I told him what I was looking for and he asked some other questions that I hadn't thought of. He didn't treat me like a dork and was patient w/ my ignorance. He knows his rods intimately, so it was an informative conversation. One of my major criteria was a rod that a relative neophyte could handle, but one that I could also grow into as my spey skills develop...that "one" rod, as if it actually exists:) Though I don't talk "spey-speak," we were able to overcome the language barrier. The end result is that I'll be buying a rod rod from Bob and it's looking like it will be the 13'6" 7/8 MKS. Sorry Fred, I like your intitials also, but it sounded like this rod was a better fit:) Good luck. The search is half the fun.

Jon