What materials are these on this chernobyl hopper fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Josh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I'm trying to copy a hopper pattern that a guide gave to me the other year when I was on the methow. I liked fishing it better than the normal Chernobyl Hoppers I had.

It's nothing fancy, it's just a regular chernobyl with a parachute adams type thing of some sort, high viz post, and a hair wing. I don't know the materials that they are made of. I;'m sure it's a simple thing, I just don't know enough about tying to recognize. Thanks.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I know what the materials are for the body/legs. I understand how to make the regular style Chernobyl.

Looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]

2. NCL

NCL Active Member

I will give it a shot:

Hook a 2X nymph or hopper hook like a Daiichi 1710
    Thread looks to be yellow in the picture
    Body a tan foam bottom layer with a black foam top layer and a small yellow foam wing pad
    Legs round white
    Tail/wing looks to me to be deer hair, it could be elk but if I recall deer has the black tips, it looks yellow but that could be the light reflection from the photo
    Post is probably and antron post material, it looks somewhat shiny in the photo so it could be Z-lon
    Hackle looks to be a tan or grey hackle feather

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

-Deer Hair
    -Antron
    -Hackle feather

Works for me. Thanks.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Just in case anyone cares, this is the actual fly I am copying. I went with the photo above because the original fly has been well fished. You can see that there is just one single strand of the hair wing left. So the first photo was the closest I could come up with. The color may be a little off, probably because of the green background. The hackle is actually a real bright orange and not that rust color.

5. NCL

NCL Active Member

Josh,

The post material on these original fly or second picture looks like a different material, I don't think it will make much difference in the finished product. I am curious how the wing is attached. It looks as if the wing is tied under the wing pad. What I can not figure out is how is that wing standing up? I haven't ties much with foam but can certainly see the advantage.

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

This has nothing to do with anything, but I sure wish I could find even hooks in Bellingham. Neither Mayberrys or Yeagers has even the Mustad Diiachi version of the hook, to say nothing of finding the Tiemco.

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Josh,
    That looks to be burnt orange hackle tied around the post. I like it. Thanks for the picture.

NCL- I think you're right on about the wing. Tied under the pad and I'd expect it to stand up with the thread wraps. The pad should also protect the hair. Josh must have really fished that. Maybe a drop of super glue would secure the wing between the two layers of foam.

Jeff

8. NCL

NCL Active Member

Jeff,

The super glue is a great idea and should help in the wing not getting pulled out like in Josh' s example, thanks.

Mitch

9. professori

professori self-important blowhard!!

What the responders seem to be calling a "wing pad" is actually a visual indicator to help an angler see the original Chernobyl ant. Personally I would lose it completely as it in the modified version is unnecessary, the para post provides plenty of visibility. By the way, the hackle is burnt orange grizzly. The barring of the grizzly hackle is actually pretty important to its effectiveness (again IMHO).

10. NCL

NCL Active Member

Professori

My initial thought was also a visual indicator but with the post and wing in place it seemed like over kill at best and not that visible at worst. What are your thoughts on the visual indicator holding up the wing and/or strengthing the wing? Thanks

11. Josh

Josh dead in the water

My only argument against ditching the foam indicator is that I caught fish on the fly as is. I'm not saying that I wouldn't catch fish without it. But why change a good thing? That having been said, perhaps I will tie up a couple each way and see if the fish think there's a difference.

12. jaybo41

jaybo41 Member

My 2 cents for whatever it's worth...

I'm in agreement that the "wing pad" is typically used as an indictor. In this case however, it may in fact help lay down the deer hair a little better and protect the wraps on the deer hair. Perhaps even cover it up to even give the fly a more appealing look to the angler. The fish won't care one way or another, with or without, they're only seeing the fly from the bottom :) You're catching fish because the shape/color/size is consistent with what the trout are feeding on, not because the pad is or is not there. With that said, try some with or without and see which holds up better when fished. I too would add some superglue to the tie in point on the hair wing and then put several layers of head cement on those wraps for protection. Nice looking hopper!

13. professori

professori self-important blowhard!!

Without actually tying the fly, I am only making an educated guess, but the more foam on any given pattern, the less effective thread pressure you can apply. the foam has too much give in it to be able to tighten your thread adequately. Which ever method is chosen, the wing really begs for a super glue application. By the way, the wing (deer of elk) will have no problem standing up without the original indicator pad, the underlying foam will collapse plenty for that purpose. Josh I realize that your original fly had the indicator, but I honestly think that is because some guide took an already tied Chernobyl Ant and simply added a few extra materials.

14. NCL

NCL Active Member

I never thought about the foam collapsing thus pushing the hair wing up, makes sense, thanks. I also think the wing would require superglue. I have to tie some of these they look like fun.