What motivates you to fish for steelhead?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by thewaker, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

A big me too on this post Kerry. Fits me to the letter!

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I find that my motivations change from river to river and season to season.

For instance in November- January I am motivated by shall we say greed?
    During that period of time I am on a mission to put fish in the freezer partly because i love smoked salmon/steelhead, I love the aspect of supporting myself through my own hard work and eating the spoils. ( also love collecting wild edible mushrooms. Also anyone who has known me knows that i view hatchery fish as villains in our rivers systems so I am out to irradiate them if one man could.

During the later part of the winter season i am motivated to get out by wild winter steelhead. I find it amazing that they still exist, i want to see them and know they are around. If i am not fishing for them I am hiking up some small tributary looking for them where no one else knows they even live. Just being able to see one and be in it's presence is my motivation that time of year.

During the early summer I trout fish most of the steelhead are skamania hatchery fish which i find are next to impossible to take except with tasteless methods for summer so i steer clear of fishing that time of year.

September and October are my time of year this is when i fish for the fun and excitement of it. it's the fishing i actually enjoy doing floating lines and light flies and flies fished in the surface film.

All years long i love talking to steelheaders I meet on the river so that's part of the motivation too. I love the history and the culture of steelheaders and I hate things that seek to change that culture. which seems to be happening a lot these days so i steelhead fish less.

anyway that's at least a partial answer...

3. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    That's money Kerry!

4. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Media:
    I used to be an avid surfer in California from the early 70's - 95 when I moved north to colder water and thicker wetsuits. Being out in nature then, and now while I am on the river, has always been a spiritual time for me. I enjoy mother nature and get my mind lost in it's beauty, amazement, danger, and movement. I guess it is my way of meditating and becoming centered again after a long stint at work. It relaxes me. It makes me smile. It helps me live.

5. thewaker

Media:
    Nicely said Rob

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    - i aint standing in a river until my feet are numb for any other fish.
    - the places i get to see while fishing for them are unmatched (coastal rainforests, glacial peaks looming overhead, basalt canyons)
    - the loneliness of hiking to get away from crowds and being rewarded.
    - the grab after a long dry spell... just as you start to wonder what you're doing wrong... because you must be doing something wrong... and then you just focus on attempting to fish the water well for the sake of fishing it well... and then the grab comes.

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Spey casting for steelhead is all about rhythm. Cast, swing, two steps down, cast, swing, two steps down. The cast itself is all about rhythm, not too fast, not too slow. Concentrate on a good cast, good swing, careful steps, do it again. You need to pay attention but the mind can wander as you get in rhythm. The air is cold, maybe it's raining or snowing, all by yourself in your own little world, just cast, swing, step. This goes on for hours, sometimes days. Then suddenly your line slows and stops and tightens, your mind is screaming "take it, just take it please!" for what seems like an eternity. Your rhythm has been broken. Line starts stripping off the reel and you set the hook with a sweep towards the bank of course. You feel the pulsing of the rod from the head shakes - that is why I steelhead.

Wayne

8. thewaker

Media:
    So nice Surf,Chris and Wayne!

9. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

10. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    thewaker, Great thread!

11. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

As others have said, I love to be out enjoying nature. I love the chill in the morning, before the day heats up. I love the critters you see, the river otter that pokes up to get a better view of that creature on the bank waving a stick, the blue heron that flies up and lands not far away because you are watching the swing intently and quiet, or the sun beginning to peak over the mountain. Then there is the anticipation as the fly swings through the bucket where you have caught other steelhead. There is the surprise when your fly is grabbed in a spot that has not held a fish before. There is the adrenalin rush as your fly is crushed and the disappointment when the AJ, you know you should not have used, comes out of a B-run.

It is all good. And, the casting is not only fun it gives you something the improve and pass on to a wife, daughter, son, grandson, or friend who is interested in what interests you.

12. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    The seemingly infinite amount of knowledge and river smarts it takes to find and catch them regularly. The game is constantly changing along with the endless variables that weather, flows and the rivers bring us. It's a good game to be playing and I find my mind constantly running. I love it. I just pray it never ends.

13. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    with the beatdown steelhead fishing brings you, it just makes success that much better

Where else can you catch a fish and then chest bump 3 guys and not catch any shit for it....

14. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

One of the funniest things about winter steelheading is that after weeks without a grab your swinging along pessimistically then all of a sudden the line get's tight and you think to yourself. "I have fished this run a dozen times this year and there was never a snag there before?!?!" only to find out it's a fish!!!

funny how the thing that we are after seems to be the last thing on our mind when it actually happens at least that's how it is for me..

15. thewaker

Media:
    Rob, so true.

Also,I can't count the fish I have hooked when I'm not paying attention.......I may have to not pay attention more.

16. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Because I have a wife, 2 daughters and a female dog.

Go Sox,
    cds

17. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

I'm motivated to fish for steelhead because most of the time I don't have to worry about gutting and filleting anything. But then again...when I'm lucky I'm lucky and if it's wild I still get away scott free, it's those hatchery fish that put demands on me.

18. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
  19. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I like to cast

The sensation of the tug

Wondering just what is on the other end of that line when I have one on.

Camaraderie of good fishing partners.

Being alone so I can cast.

Bringing hatchery fish home builds desire if my future fishing partners. And, to smoke: Makes good Christmas gifts- "Dont worry honey, we can give smoked steelhead as gifts, wont cost a thing."

Its replaced hunting- dont have to be gone for all week- and its less of a production to go for a day.

20. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I fish for steelhead because I am.....

I am the guy that says he is not going to quit.
    I am the guy that "will" be the best at what I do.
    I am the guy that Wants simplicity.

There are so many aspects of the sport of fishing for Oncorhynchus mykiss, that can be summed up in those last three sentences. I myself swing a fly for native steelhead. I spend hours from the first glimpses of light through the trees, till my line dissapears out the end of my rod tip at night. I do this day in and day out. In good weather and in what non-steelheaders would call bad. All for a handful of tugs. A few silver angels to my hand.

I want to learn every aspect of what I do. I want to know how the temperatures affect movement. How the line will pull my fly behind a pocket. I want to know it all and I wont be satisfied till that happens. Which will never happen so I guess I will always do it.

I want a simple exhistance. I want a fly box. A rod. A pair of nippers. and a chance to feel somthing that only a few people on this planet will ever get a chance to............