What No Upper Columbia Reports Yet?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Irafly, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    Considering I was the only boat on this stretch of river, and was the first to hit all these spots, I don't think it had any "help" like that. Though that can definitely happen (they had issues with that in SW WA in recent years). That one was from the Wenatchee opening morning. I've seen a lot of bad mis-clips there. And totally agree: I'd rather release a brat than bonk a native. I err on the side of caution when it comes to these types of fisheries.

Also, Ira: That one fell victim to the centerpin :)
    plaegreid, Andrew Lawrence and Irafly like this.
  2. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    Ratings: +285 / 0

Were you in that green wood boat with the center pin?
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I was in a Clack with a centerpin, yes.
  4. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    If you are the boat I'm thinking about I was the guy wading in the middle of the river up above Carl.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I was on the Wenatchee.
  6. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    well, then.
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +861 / 0
    We were at the access at 9 miles on the Met; great day, warm, blue sky, and not a fish to be seen. Did see one gear guy with one by second bridge though.
  8. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Fished from the lower river upstream and found one player that didn't find my hook. tried dry line, sink tip, middle of the road, leeches, dries, traditional wets. Fish are difficult.
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Sounds like business as usual. The Wenatchee wasn't exactly popping either. The reports I'm getting from friends on the Methow so far aren't stellar. Then again, with these counts I'm surprised they even opened it.
  10. Ander New Member

Puget Sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Can I just leave zombie meat on the bank for the wolves and wolverines?
  11. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    Opening day was decent but it's been slow and crowded since then. [IMG]
  12. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0

not sure if you are employing sarcasm here, but in case you are seriously considering tossing hatchery fish up on the bank, please consider the following:

1. It's illegal to waste fish, read the WDFW regs. Not a cheap ticket to pay. It probably will not make you any friends on the Met either.
    2. The Met is a meat fishery; go elswehere if you aren't prepared to harvest fish and want to C&R steelhead all day. There is a purpose to the mandatory retention and if you don't agree or understand it, then there are lots of other options for legal eastside C&R steelheading.
    3. Met fish aren't zombies, many (myself included) consider them good table fare and they great for canning and smoking as well. The meat is not bright pink like that of a chrome winter steelhead, but it is still pink and firm. If you don't want keep them for yourself, then you probably have a neighbor or friend who'd be happy to take them off your hands.

If you were being sarcastic, then perhaps my post will be useful to others who haven't fished the Met.

cheers,
    Christophe
  13. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +402 / 0
    Smoked steelhead chowder (home canned) goes down a treat with a scotch on a Winter evening...
    Alex MacDonald and tkww like this.
  14. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +383 / 0
  15. Ryan Higgins Active Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Did good this morning, 2 wilds, 1 keeper. Didn't break out the fly rod, all caught on gear.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. Evan Virnoche Guest

fishing was tough for us
  17. Ander New Member

Puget Sound
    Thanks Christophe -- good to know.

Ander
  18. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    photo 2.JPG I had the chance to fish 1 run on the Met today and had 3 pulls busted 2 off and landed 1 keeper swinging flies with a spey rod! Fished for an hour and a half. Don't go!!!!!!!!!!
  19. CLO Skykchromish Light Saber

Seattle
    doesn't count, nymphed.

[IMG]
  20. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Whatever
    Blake Harmon likes this.