What pattern am I...

Pattern 
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SuperSecretCIA 
#1 ·
Can you name this old school wet fly?

c/22

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like it has a fair amount of pheasant tail in it (LOL it's been WAY long for me looking at any flies so I have no idea to be up front). Doesn't look like a patriot. Not a carey special either with the wet palmered hackle (not sure what feather that is) and thread-looking body.
Maybe a catskill wet variant?
Has to be a ton of guys that are more up to speed on that one. Someone speak up! :)

Edit- looks like nope the catskill apparently it has a golden pheasant tail.

#6 ·
Its similar to a Brown Turkey but it has a tip added that Bergmans dressing did not have and it doesn't use turkey as wing and tail.

TC

#8 ·
You guys are on it, they pretty flys for sure. I'm betting a cutthroat would like these.

Materials info on the "Down Looker"

Tip: Orange floss
Tail: Brown mallard
Ribbing: None
Hackle: Brown tied palmer
Body: Brown floss
Wing: Brown mallard

Here is the Cahill

c/22

#9 ·
Gadzooks, I couldn't even tell the difference between a cluster of stripped pheasant tail feather pieces and mallard soft feathers.
Well it was fun seeing some of the real old-school Ray Bergman collection plates again anyways so thanx for the thread :)

Identifying patterns is not my specialty. However, I am pretty good at thinking about fishing while at work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.