What real for 8-9 skagit???

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Arthur Vakulchik, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What real would you guys recommend for an 8-9 wt skagit rod. I would be using it for salmon and winter steel-head so I be using heavy tips and heavy flies. I will need something thats got a good drag and it would be great if it was a large arbor reel. I don't want to spend much money because I don't have the money to spend. I'm really interested in the Tioga Magnum 12. Also if I couldn't find anything than I think id go with the lamson Konic. Or maybe I should go with the old Lamson Velocity....

Well Ill appreciate any responses or recommendations.

Thank in advance,
    Arthur
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Give Poppy at the Red Shed a call, he's got some great suggestions for inexpensive spey reels.
  3. chew- New Member

Whitehorse, Yukon
    I've heard good things about the Loop Multi.
  4. bouface Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    How much do you want to spend? There are lots of reels that will work for an 8/9 skagit set up, but you need to answer the price question first. After that, you need to look at which rod you'll use it for, because in spey fishing getting a reel to balance the rod correctly is one of the most importand considerations. In general, you'll want to look for a reel that will hold a 12 wt line w/ 250-300 yards of 30 lb dacron. This will translate to a skagit head, running line, and 150 yard 30 lb dacron, and will also give you the correct weight to balance the rod.

Also, if you're not familiar with what you're looking for in balancing a spey rod, there are different schools of thought. I like a reel that will balance well when I'm swinging a fly, so I don't have to fight to hold the tip up or keep the tip down on the swing.
  5. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    Sorry, I thought i posted a price. I was thinking something under or around $200. The rod is a G-Loomis Dredger Kispoix. I hope some of this info helps.

Arthur
  6. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    For the angler on a budget to TFO 4.25" Prism will work just fine. It weighs right at 9oz, holds 100yds of Teeny 30# Dacron (125yds SA 30# Dacron), has a decent drag, and retails for $99.95. The skagit line and backing will add another 3 1/2oz+. You'll have enough left for your line.

The Tioga, Magnum or otherwise is another good choice.
  7. CodyM New Member

Oakland, CA
    The Lamson konic 4 is what i use. Has the same drag as the high end reels, but for only like $150.
  8. speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Plainfield, IL
    You can spend a bijillion dollars on a reel. The replies here are endless.
    You can also get fancy open plate space age alloy materials that are light as a gnats arse.
    I don't think that matters.

My advice would be:

1.)
    Find one that balances to your rod properly..............ignore price. This means strapping the reel on the rod. holding the rod exactly where you hold it during the swing. You want the tip to be slightly rising up when you lay your index finger on the underside of the upper handle. Because when swinging, the tension of current + weight of line will pull it down a little.
    If you cant do it this way, get a reel (even a spinning reel) on there with a known weight. Same thing. You just want to put the weight on.

2.) Once thats done, take that list and begin searching reviews for people who have fished it.

3.)
    I'd also recommend a sealed drag system.

4.) Look at your wallet and make your decision.

I have had a lot of gear pass through my garage. Some of my best rigs looked a little funny to others, but were like fishing with a feather cause they were balanced properly. And believe me. 2 or more days of skagit fishing will make you appreciate balance.