What rod blanks to choose?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Salmonchaser25, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Salmonchaser25 Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am heading to the Kenai Penisula in late August to hit the silver run and am going to build a rod before I go. I have never built one before so my friend who has is going to help me. I want a 4 piece 9ft 9wt and was wondering if anyone knows a good blank around 100 to 200 dollars. I have found a few websites that sell blanks but am having trouble chosing one.

Thanks Quinn
  2. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Go to http://www.dancraftent.com/ and look at Dan's 4pc FT blanks. $155 for the blank you mentioned. These are GREAT blanks used by many custom rod builders.
  3. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    I second Charlie on the FT, but I am not sure if you need a 9wt for silvers if you get the FT. It is a very fast and powerful rod. Talk to Dan. I believe he uses a 7wt for AK silvers. I may be wrong, which is why you should ask him, but I think that is what told me. Can't go wrong with the FT though, and at a great price.
  4. Salmonchaser25 Member

Kirkland, WA
    thanks guy. I have a 5wt already, and the reason I wanted the 9 wt is so I could have a rod at both ends of the spectrum.
  5. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have the entire range of FT blanks and like them all. My personal favorites are the 4 wt and the 10 wt. I hooked (an accident) and got to the boat a tarpon of over 90 kilos on a 9wt. Got it into the leader three times before it wrapped around an anchor line I didn't know was down and it snapped off. The rod held up and I couldn't believe the backbone it had and how well it took the abuse I gave it that day to stop the fish from making long runs.
  6. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +88 / 0
  7. snarlac Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    suggestions:

(1) whatever blank is in the bargain baskets at your local fly shop. I thought I saw a tfo blank in that weight for $50 bucks the other day, but that might be full price.

(2) ebay

(3) buy a whole rod, an 8wt TFO pro, ($149), a plastic mailing tube at your UPS store as a case ($3) and a roll of duct tape ($2) just in case the handle or a guide come apart.
  8. OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Akron, OH
    I have built a lot of different blanks and Dan Craft's blanks are my favorite at any price. I'm partial to the SIg V line, but for bigger fish or windy conditions an FT is probably what you want. Batson RX7+ and St Croix SCIV, would be close seconds in that pirce range.
  9. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    I've always found a 9# to be my favorite Alaska rod. That's heavy enough for Chinook in small water and coho and sockeye in big water. That said some 8's are just like 9's and vis-versa. on line weight just doesn't make a big difference and you can commonly use the lines interchangably. In alaska it's always good to have a bit too much than not enough and the streams can be deceptively fast. I currently have a cabelas SLi 9' 9# 2 piece which i like a lot. I'm not sure if that blank comes in a 4 piece. Alaska airlines fyi does not count a rod tube toward your two bag allowance. August should find coho in all the lower kenai penninsula streams, lot's of big ole dollies too.
  10. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    If I was in your shoes right now I would consider the Lamiglass blanks that are on clearance (50%) off at a lot of places. I am looking at a XMG50 Graphite blank for $115.