what rod for steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by bankwalker, Oct 8, 2007.

1. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

looking for 9'6" - 10' 8wt rod, what would my best bet for the money be around $200-250

ive tried a few different rods and have yet to find one i like. mostly all lower end rods though. i had a sage launch which isnt to low end, but i consider is low end for the company. and ive had a couple models from redington.

right now i have a beulah 9'6" 6wt, very nice casting rod. and i would like to find something that feels the same but only in a 8wt.

thanks alot for the help

2. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    most here seem to be on a TFO kick. i personally am a Redington fan. try out the RS3, or the Red Fly. I have both and have no complaints.

4. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    How about those Fethastyx rods? I believe they have some nice 8wts in that price range. I enjoy casting my 10 footer.

5. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

thats what im leaning towards. i really like the feel of the 9' 8wt but i want that 10' bad.

6. johnmetcalfe

johnmetcalfe New Member

Hey
    u might check out a Scott V2(200) or A2(300). I have an a2..........some day I'll catch a steelhead on it, someday.
    jm

7. Aaron O'Leary

Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Home Page:
    iagree

The A2 is an awesome rod for the money. Go for a 10'.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    BW,

If you already have one Beulah, you might be happiest by getting another in an 8 wt. Most any rod will do the job just fine, but some rods kinda' spoil a guy, and Beulah is one of those.

Sg

9. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was very close to buying the Teeny 10 8wt and it was a very nice rod for less that 250. I backed out when A. TFO accidentally shipped a 7wt instead of an 8wt, B. I cast a Deer Creek 7/8 wt and decided to wait for the Deer Creek to be released (cus I got bit by the spey bug).

The only real detractor I can see with the 10' Teeny is that it's a 5 piece which I would find kinda annoying if I was jumping in my truck to move on to the next hole to fish.

10. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    I second Salmo Gs recommendation of getting another Beulah. I have a couple of them for 'heavier' work and love them.
    Also check out echo 2 rods. the echo classics might be a little slow if you like the beulah.

btw- how did you come about to own a 9'6" beulah, i thought they were all 9'

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

The 9' is arm saving, the 9'6" saves some on the arm, gives a little more reach, mends a tad better, and makes some fast action rod (line series) feel really smooth (IMHO), the 10' plus can quickly become cumbersome and exhausting to cast on long day trips or multi-day fishing expeditions. There is a rod, a length, a grip, a color, certain hardware, number of pieces...for everyone out there. Mine is a 9'6" 4 piece XP ....none compare. (For me) ...You might like a 10' 8 weight 5 piece St. Croix Legend Elite, or a 908-4 Sage SLT, 908-4 TFO TicrX .... and it goes on. Shop and explore or buy until and sell until you find that one ...it's not easy.

12. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I'd bump up your price range a little and get a Redington CPS. I think it is one of the best rods out there for $300 bucks, if not the best. Light enough to fish all day, yet with the backbone to throw heavy tips and big flies.
    If you dont want to spend that much, i also like the RS3 and RS4 from redington.
    good luck in your search.

13. prosopium

prosopium Member

yeah it sure seems like it. I have an A2 and a V2 both by scott, as previously stated they are great rods for the money. i have used my 9 foot A2 to catch a hand full of steelhead and it works great for that as well as pitching large streamers and nymphing for trout on large rivers. on the other hand i had a tfo teeny. and ill be honest and say i bought it cause i got caught up on the tfo stuff. that rod never saw any steelhead, it spent more time being shipped back and forth to texas cause it broke twice. the first time it never even made it to the water, i dropped it from about a foot of the ground onto a flat gravel rod on the hoko and the tip section broke in half. the second time while casting it just splintered and the third an eyelet broke off while fishing. needless to say i sold it. never liked the way it felt. just my 2 cents but i really, really like the A2, fished it all day yesterday and the arm never got tired

14. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

well one of the first rods i had was a st croix 9'6" 8wt, and i really liked it;. sold it though to try another rod.

well i got a great deal on another one and i cant be any more happier. i did get to cast a few others rods stated above and they were not what i wanted. idk maybe i was just use to the st croix so it stood out among them. only thing i dont like about the st croix is its the older avid series(blue) and i wanted the new avid. but for the price i got i cant complain.

the tfo 9'6" 8wt i tryd was a nice casting rod, but i didnt like the action much, and i also cast a a2 a few times. another great feeling rod.