what salt water boat to get for less than 5,000?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Peter Pancho, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

What ever you choose, do not under power it. I think that is the worst mistake you can make. I have a 12' gregor with a 15 hp outboard and it works great.

Clint

2. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

I have a 1994 Smokercraft Alaskan 14', and it's rated for a 40hp !! Man, that boat might weigh 300 pounds; it would go like a scalded dog if fitted with a 40! Hmmmm, though I could get to my fishing spots faster . . . (the bass pro approach)

4. Salmo_Gairdneri

Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

No oil changes is definitely true.

They are also low in cholesterol and fat free I think.

An OMC -anything- is going to be cheaper than the "equivalent" Yamaha.

-S

5. here's what looks like a good deal, not too old a boat and newer motors

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/829448270.html

thumbs up also for the older Whaler Outrage, model years 1981 - 1992. Awesome all around boats and much lighter than their newer counterparts. Not in your price range and a lot more to move around but great hull.

6. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

This could be the ticket! Thanks dudes and dudettes!

7. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

Looks good. Tell us how it goes.

8. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Benn, do you have a pic of your boat? Curious to see what it looks like. Ever since I sold my drift boat, I've been on the trail looking for my first prop boat. I have passed up several deals but its been a couple months of searching. After talking to many folks, testing different hull designs I know what I am looking for. I thought I wanted an open bow design for fly casting, but I also want to be able to do some Neah Bay work and in inclimate weather, having some sort of pilot house or shelter from the elements is a nice option. I've determined that I want to pay a little more to get the 4 stroke Honda or Yamaha, as I believe that no matter how good the hull, its useless with a dead outboard. I really can't stand the smell and exhaust emissions from a 2 stroke but they are light weight and do have some good aspects to them.

I think 17-18' is ideal, could be Aluminum or Glass with a center or some consul steering, self bailing interior, deep V-hull, 4 stroke outboard, roller Galvi trailer with LED lights and bearing savers, With full electronics: GPS, Sounder, VHF, and electric or manual downriggers and happy kicker plate. I want to be able to take it out to Neah Bay with confidence and also do alot of local fishing. I'll keep looking...