What should I ask for when looking for antron at craft stores

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by South Sound, May 4, 2004.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

I have gone to Michaels and Joannes and asked them if they had antron yarn and they looked at me like I was crazy. Is there another term for antron that I am out in the dark on?
    Thanks.

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Don't ask. Just look. And sneak furtively when you've found your booty. They'll know who/what you are when they see the selection of things you've brought to the checkout counter. The big bags of cheap colored marabou will be enough to tag yourself.

3. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I was looking at either the Fly Tyer's Benchside Reference or Tying Emergers, and noticed in one set of photos that some Sparkle Yarn (synthetic) was being used as a source for antron. If you look or ask for Sparkle Yarn, you might find a lifetime's worth of antron. To verify, I'd recommend teasing apart the bitter end of a skein to see if the stuff is the real deal.

If Joanne's doesn't turn up what you're looking for, there is a small shop in Ballard that has an amazing quantity of exotic yarns. My mom gives the place a big :thumb . The shop is one block north of Market Street and behind the Majestic Bay Theatre, on the north side of the street.

The place is run by a couple of very sweet granny-types. I think they are aware that our types like what they sell. If you tie up something fancy, I'll bet they'd love to check it out. Show them a steelhead or Atlantic fly, and I'm certain they'll nod with approval. :beer2

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    >I have gone to Michaels and Joannes and asked them if
    >they had antron yarn and they looked at me like I was
    >crazy. Is there another term for antron that I am out
    >in the dark on?
    >Thanks.
    >Josh

Safest bet is to buy it from a fly shop. Unless you are production tying you don't need a full skein. However I personally heard Gary Lafontaine (at a fly show) say that "puff" and "dazzleaire" are good choices for caddis pupae and emergers. They contain about 10% clear antron fibers. Aunt Lydia's rug yarn is supposed to be tri-lobal also, and if it is, it is 100%. the white is clear when teased out. Never found Puff, but I have a vast collection of dazzleaire including the legendary and discontinued Country Peach! I have this stuff because I used to production tie. Buy it from a shop...

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    they sell that aunt lydia's yarn in hunters tying catologe, i think it is infact tri-lobal, but dont take my work for it.

6. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    What should I ask for when looking for antron at cr...

I agree with phil... If you aren't cranking out 1000's of fly's per month. You're better off just supporting your local fly shops.

Shops are going under all the time. Instead of giving grandmas craft store that $$$, put it some where useful.

At the rate its going now... In 10 years Everything we buy is going to be online or at a giant, subpar, super sports store with some jackass 16 year old kid trying to help you.

</rant>