What size anchor?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Otis28, May 11, 2008.

1. Otis28 New Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    After searching the site for this, the answer seem to vary quite a bit. I have a 9' toon that needs a anchor for lake fishing. Is a 10# mushroom anchor enough?

Thanks,

Otis28
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +703 / 5
    For a lake, I'm thinking a 10# mushroom should be fine. It's been a LONG time since I used a toon in a lake. But keep thinking I used an old yellow coated 10# anchor and it held fine. But, I don't fish lakes alot (and rarely did). I know for rivers it won't hold.
  3. wolverine Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    On my 10'r I have 2 8 lb weights that I use to keep me in 1 place. I set 1, row away, and set the other. If the winds not blowing 1 usually does the trick.
  4. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I use a 48 oz round sinker on parachute cord to hold my pontoon on the lakes (9'). Two of them for chiro fishing.

Used to use 32's and they hold fine except for when the wind really comes up.
  5. willieboat Member

Lacey, WA
    Otis, if the wind blows as hard where you live as it does in central Wa, I'd go with the 25 pound mushroom anchor with flukes. The flukes seem to hold you in place much better than other types. The extra weight when raising and lowering the anchor doesn't seem to bother me too much.
    I think that I picked up mine in WalMart for around 15 or 20 bucks.

:ray1: Don
  6. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    8 lb bow- 4 lb stern, leave scope with bow anchor and drop stern staight down. This is with 12 foot lund. No use for big anchors for the tunes or whatever you guys call them, as I see it they still get blowed all over the lake on your own. My lund gets the blow job :eek:all the time but I can control it with anchors and such.
  7. Otis28 New Member

Spokane
    Thanks all. I think I am going to go with a 10# and see how it works out.

Otis28