What size Echo Ion with 7 wt Echo SR?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by aplTyler, Dec 26, 2012.

1. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Ratings: +87 / 9
    Hey all...

Just trying to figure out what sized reel to throw on my Echo SR 7 wt. I already have two dedicated swinging rods (Echo 7 wt and Echo 6 wt) and I feel good about those but I got this switch and intend to use it as my nymph rod. I'll be lining it with a speydicator or Rio Switch line (experience with either? preferences?)...

Should I use an Ion 8/10 or a 10/12? I own other Ion reels in smaller sizes and they're great for the $. I'm looking to keep this purchase reasonable. Thoughts and opinions?
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    8/10 should balance well and hold all the line you need.
    aplTyler likes this.
  3. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +435 / 0
    I have a 7wt speydicator on a Scientific Anglers System 2 10/11 and it barely fits. I'm not sure what the capacity of the Ion 8/10 is but the speydicator is a very large line so it's something to consider.
  4. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Chris,

After talking to a few shops this AM they are pointing me towards the Rio switch line. They both said that the Speydicator is a HUGE/long line. They cut off parts of the running line on it all the time.
  5. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Just ordered an Echo Ion 8/10 + Switch Line package from Red's. Good price, free shipping, and I know the setup will do the job that I intend it to.
    underachiever and Ed Call like this.
  6. John Clark Member

Portland OR/Hamilton Mt.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    You will find that the rio switch line is a liitle long. With a 55' belly i pull about 15' of the belly in to the rod so that I end up with aout 40' that I am casting. Cast/shoots well and gives you a little bit better line control.
    just saying

john
  7. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    That was what I saw. I figured I could just up line on a nymph taper by two or three weights but the switch line seems like a good way to go. I'll make sure to bring some of the belly in before I begin my cast.

Ty