What straight men think of Subaru Outbacks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daniel Nelson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

got the lab already and a yakima rack in the garage. isnt that funny?

the 2.5 4cycl is suppose to get 19 city and 35 highway. i think the 3.0 6cycl gets 16-22? not exactly sure on the 6.
    towing here should be a big probably seeing its pretty damn flat. I think im gonna hang onto my jeep till i get my big boat out of storage, then sell the big boat and trade in the jeep. maybe buy a second lab so i can have one out of each window.

2. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

all toyota's are expensive. the resale value is rediculous! any 4runner under 50,000 miles used is gonna be at least 17k
    you can get a used outback for 13k-15k with the same mileage or less.

3. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Don't forget the rainbow sticker for the window.

LB

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    They are worth the money, Just ask around.

5. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Trail, if you are thinking about buying a new FY09 model, wait until the FY10's come out in July, since I heard that the rainbow sticker will come standard with the upcoming Outback series.:D

All joking aside, today's fishing outing was furnished by a friend of a friend driving a new Forester and aside from somewhat limited leg room for the two people in the back, it seems like a great utilitarian vehicle. I would assume that the Outback would have a similar amount of cab space.

I too am in a similar predicament and am trying to decide between practicality(Outback or Forester) or sport(WRX Sti). I have a 06 Civic Si now but would like to see what Subaru unveils in FY10 before I make my decision, if any.

6. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    Not gay...never even heard of them being a "gay car" must be a Seattle thing. I have a big gas guzzling Sequoia that I can pull aboat around with but would just assume throw my Spring Creek pram on my roof rack and take my 2005 Outback fishing. This is my favorite vehicle I haver ever owned and when I finally wear it out another one will replace it! Better traction on snow than almost any othe rvehicle, great clearance, good cargo space and great mileage = a no brainer. There's not a more practical car on mthe market if you like outdoor activities but don't want to guzzle the gas.

7. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    What is the consensus. Can you pull a drift boat behind an Outback or a forester? What about over the pass? I really liked the concept of a hybrid SUV, but the automakers seem to be missing he point. If it's 50k, who's gonna buy it?

8. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:

I have a 2008 Outback and have used it to tow both my Clackacraft and my Raft with no problems but I never use it to tow over the pass I use My Truck for that as it would be a bit much for the Little car. I have 20,000 miles on the Outback and love it.
    But I keep both my boats on the eastside and the way the Canyon take outs have been looking lately I have been using my Truck for floats the last few times.

Bill.

9. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    I've always assumed the guy who designed the Outback sized it so it could hold a 9' fly rod fully assembled. I have an 07 but my fishing rig is a 93 Legacy with 180K on it and going strong.

10. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    What about the Liberty?

11. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bill,

Do you have the 4 or 6 cyl. model? i keep thinking a subaru and a raft would be the ultimate rig, any boat launch you can't drive the subaru into you could carry the raft down.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I can't believe it, a stupid thread on a car gets more hits than a thread on fly fishing.

I think that they ought to ban all NFR threads.

More usless info.

Jim

13. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

I've got an '08 Outback with an H4 engine. During the first 10,000 miles overall average was 23.7 mpg.

I don't know where Chris P. lives, but I do know he works in Madison Valley. Making the, 5 or 6 mile run from I-5 up and down a nasty hill in absolute city traffic with stoplights every few blocks would suck the mileage out of any gas-only-powered vehicle. Be a perfect place for a hybrid, though. That's the kind of terrain where they shine. Not so much out on the highway, though.

14. DSFlyman

DSFlyman Member

Home Page:
    Wait, are you really going to base your purchase on what other people think of you? Come on Dude,

15. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

my wife had one. p.o.s. when diamler/chrylser bought jeep they went down hill bad. my mom bought a new grand cherokee and the motor blew at 50k miles.

16. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

We could always start a thread about our favorite wading boots. That would generate a lot of fishing related traffic. And I don't think it's been done for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Certainly not more than twice so far this year.

17. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

im not really basing it on what my friends think. I said it becuase its a common joking theme with guys and wagons. If i based things on what my friends thought then id still be a bait fisher.

18. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    I'm not going to read this entire 6 page thread. Do you need to tow anything? If not I recommend getting a WRX. My 09 is amazing!

19. Brooke White

Brooke White Member

Media:
    My wife bought me an Outback XT two years ago. The turbo, coupled with the 5 speed manual transmission, make it a blast to drive everywhere, in all conditions.

20. Ed Johnston

Ed Johnston Fly4Fish

Media:
    Toyota FJ hands down better than any type of Subaru for fishing rig.