What straight men think of Subaru Outbacks

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daniel Nelson, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    Chris.
    Just read this first page, Asking about towing a boat with the OUTBACK.
    Dude you sold out trading your Outback for a WRX. Because it's SPORTY!!
    Now your OUT of the Outback family and I think you should go find a WRX thread.

Just Kidding,
    Lets fish if your GF Will ever let go you again..

Bill.

:thumb:

2. Bill Dodd

Media:

Joe.
    I have the 4 cyl. the 6 cyl would have been a bit of a gas drinker with the Miles I have to put down to get to the River. 100 miles Each way. about 156 trips in three years wow thats like 31,000 miles fishing the Yakima..Time to move to E-Burg..ok ok 10% of the trips were overnighters so maybe 29,000 miles..WOW ..

Bill.

3. Bill Dodd

Media:
    Jim.
    This thread is on more NFR than your posts telling us about your Ranger or your Quad.

Just saying.

Bill Dodd.
    :beathead:

4. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

except you'll be filling up more between trips in an FJ compared to a Subaru.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yeah, but at least I talk about flyfishing in those threads. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Jim

6. Ed Johnston

Ed Johnston Fly4Fish

Media:
    I don't think so I get 18 city 22 highway. I thought that was the case too until I saw this thread.:ray1:

7. Bill Dodd

Media:
    Jim.
    I'm always glad to see your posts and enjoy reading them.

Bill.

8. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:

oh man. i needed more SPEEEEEDDDDD. i've only been able to pull 1/2 days on river so far. i want to fish yakima! it'd be fun to actually catch some fish vs. going fishless in the S rivers.

[​IMG]

9. Bill Dodd

Media:

Nice looking car Chris. and a good shot of you and your dog. (SORRY HIS NAME I CAN'T THINK OF?)

BD.

10. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    You're sort of barking up the wrong tree. People in the Northwest LOOOOOOVVEEEE Subarus and hate American cars. It must be something in the water.
    Being from Minnesota, you'll likely get ragged on hard and have to turn in your man card....and for good reason. I know I rag on anyone that drives a Subaru.

In all seriousness though, severely overrated vehicle. YOu'll never meet a gearhead that has high opinion of one. People that get Subarus are from the same population as people that drive Jettas or Audis. They wanted to get someething trendy and different but can't afford anything in the pirce range (I can't either). So they want to believe that buying this car somehow gives them an advantage on the road and make them a performance driver. That's why the guy that you give the bird to for cutting you off without signaling is likeley in a Jetta or a Subaru.
    Even people that like Subarus will admit their folly when they let their guard down. As one guy put it recently
    "Fun to drive.... when it isn't in the shop."
    Or another when I lied and told them their car was nice:
    "It should be for the amount of money I had to put in it".
    Or another when I had to pull them out of the mountains with my American car.
    'They should really tell people that these things should stay on pavement".

11. Gregory Paul

Gregory Paul New Member

I think they are One of the better vehicles out there today, until I see a rainbow sticker in the back window.

12. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    Nobody driving an Outback thinks they are a preformance driver. What are you even talking about?

13. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Holy crap.

I was out fishing all day and I come back and look what you guys have been doing....

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    HBW, we've been killing time waiting for your fishing report...so where is it?

15. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

sweet ride. I was seriously thinking of a WRX sti but my wife said no. i still feel like a b!tch

16. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    What's up OMJ you get skunked on the beav today? You seem to be back to the grouch and going strong! I have to argue ya on this one though, how many times have folks said a 9' rod can be stuck in without breaking it down? Hell, take the NFR off the thread if ya ask me, a rig to be purchased by a fisherman is entirely fishing related. :D

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

This has gotta be one of the most blatant pieces of crap I have ever read. I had an '82 GL 4X4 wagon I bought new, with the dual range 4WD, and put 230,000 miles on it before I sold it. Wasn't in the shop for repairs hardly at all, except for when I'd tear a CV boot scrambling. It was an awesome ski and surf rig. I beat the crap out of it for nearly 12 years. It was among the best running cars I ever owned, right up there with my '74 Toyota Corona wagon and my 88 Mazda B2200 P/U. All of these were fuel efficient excellent rigs. The only thing I didn't like about the Soob was the driver's seat. It sucked on long trips.
    I have two friends with newer Foresters who love them, and my neighbor really likes his Legacy Outback wagon.
    Worst two cars I ever owned were Fords. Except for the seats. The split bench that was in my '84 Ranger was one of the most comfortable vehicle seats i've ever had to park my butt in for all day road trips. Truck was a gas hog and I got rid of it after it threw the timing belt.

18. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    fyi, my current 3000 mile trip from colorado to washington to california i'm averaging right at 25 while driving it hard (meaning fast) with a large cargo box on the top. i have the little engine so a bigger engine would be worse. if i work at it i can get close to 30 by going a bit slower and taking off the box.

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Sloan can rag on Subaru owners all he wants, but his rag is full of bullshit.

I've had my 2000 Outback since 2000 and have 118,000 miles on it. It's in the shop, every 30,000 miles for regularly scheduled service, not that it needs much. I did replace the brakes almost a year ago. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. It gets about 26 mpg on regular except when I'm towing my boat (16' Lund) or during really cold weather. It's a 4 cyl.

I could give a shit how trendy it or any car is. I bought the Sube because I wanted one car, not two. It works well for hiking, backpacking, skiing, camping, hauling the canoe, hauling kayaks, hauling bicycles, and it's working out pretty well for fishing. I tried sleeping in the back - once. I either pitch my tent or get a hotel room, paid for with the money I've saved by not driving a gas guzzler.

I'd drive the Sube even if it hadn't been pimped by a lesbian tennis pro, Crocodile Dundee, or Lance Armstrong. The guy fishing with me yesterday remarked, "it's amazing more people don't put a jet on a light boat like this; it really gets around; and you can tow it with the Subaru."

Sg

20. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

:)A cowboy is sitting at a bar when a young woman sits down beside him and asks, "are you a cowboy?" He says, "well I ride a horse all day, warngle cattle, put up hay and sleep in a bunkhouse, I guess that I'm a cowboy". She replies, "I'm a lesbian, I wake up in the morning and think about women, I take my shower and think about women and spend the rest of my day thinking about women". A few minutes later a couple sits down next to him and asks, "are you a cowboy?" He says, "I always thought I was a cowboy, but it turns out that I'm lesbian."

From this discussion, it sounds like he's going to have to trade his pickup in on an Outback.