what style of weed guard for bonefish flies?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by fish farmer, Mar 25, 2007.

1. fish farmer New Member

Gig Harbor, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Been tying some patterns for an upcoming trip to Belize and from what I have read on the web, weed guards are mandatory for where I will be fishing (a ton of underwater grass) . I was wondering what style weed guard people have had success with for bonefish and other salt species. Should I use a post style weed guard or a single or double mono loop. Thanks for the help.
  2. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I wouldn't go overboard and tie all your flies with weed guards, most bonefish flies have dumbell eyes or clouser eyes so when in the water they will ride hookpoint up. This will avoid quite a few snags. I've done 3 bonefishing trips and never once tied a flie with a weed nor have I felt like I should have. Granted none of my trips were to Belize, but I have fished over some grassy bottoms.
  3. fish farmer New Member

Gig Harbor, Wa
    Thanks for the info ibn, I will be sure to tie up some flies without weed guards.
  4. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    I'm with ibn on the weed guard thing. I use a stiff hair on gottas and charlies.
    Ask your guide for advice.
  5. Jason Baker Member

Ft. Mill, SC
    I agree with these dudes. As most bonefish hang in the flats, weedguards are not needed. I have never fished Belize either, but from what I have read, expect the same....