what style rod do you mainly use for steelhead/salmon?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Daniel Nelson, Aug 30, 2009.

?

what style rod do you use for salmon/steelhead?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2009.
  1. single hander

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. spey

33 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. switch

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

just wondering. i know there's different methods for fishing these fish and the different style rods you might use for each method but, if you were give one style rod to use forever what would it be?

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Single hander. I tried the Spey thing and found it wanting.

3. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Spey it is! Works out well for me, as I'm not great at double hauling a single-hander, anyway.

Great question/poll!!!

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Spey , no question . My shoulder does`nt like the single-hander for any length of time , and the switch is but a compromise imo .

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Switch. One rod two lines. Outbound Short for single hand casting from beach and Beulah Elixer for river. Simple as can be. The ideal Northwest rod.

Leland.

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

The main reason the two hand rods are great is the ease on the body. Big flies and heavy tips aren't hard at all compared to a single hander.

As far as actually catching fish, that is just plain knowledge, hard earned knowledge. No style rod will get you closer to that.

7. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

Spey... all the way.

8. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

iagree Totally forgot about that. After a biking injury a few years back, my shoulder hates single-hand rods. I've actually had to learn to cast with my opposite hand (not pretty)

9. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Spey rod on rivers and a singlehander on stillwater (Drano Lake or at mouth of the White Salmon river).

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow, I must be one tough SOB. I'm permanently disabled in my neck and shoulder. I still can throw a single hander all day. I do spey and single, but still prefer tossing a single. Guess I got the technique down. Not a ton of falsecasting. Usually a few good loads and out it goes. Think most get tired in the salmon/steelhead weights because they just cast way too damned much. Couple casts and away it goes. Is a spey easier to cast? Of course. But have no problems with a singlehander. I won't ever give mine up. But am getting a nice collection of speys back finally. LOL

11. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    I use a single hander most of the time. Mostly because I can't spey cast to save my life, but also because it feels more natural and fluid to me. I've thrown my spey rod against the rocks on the Hoh many times out of frustration.

My 10' 8wt. can throw stuff a mile, though, so I am rarely in a situation where I actually need a spey. I don't fish rivers that big. However, I do swing on a spey. That's actually the only time I use it.
    -Ethan

12. Yak

Yak Member

Albums:
    Single hand when using a floating line and spey with sink tips is normally the way I go now. I also have some neck/shoulder problems .

13. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I'll never touch a single hander again for swinging rivers. The switch rod is all I use now on our little tribs.

14. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

9.5' casting rod. Works for spoons, drift gear, or jigs.

15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I don't want to be constrained to picking one type or the other. I use a Spey rod for steelheading because I still learning and liking the novelty of Spey casting and can cover more water with less effort, which is not the same as casting farther. But I'm still attracted to the fluid dynamics of single hand casting that got me into this passtime in the first place, and I have no intention of ever giving that up.

Sg

16. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

As the Brit's would say: "Horses for courses." That translates to the equipment in hand should be appropriate for the water in front of you. One run I fish frequently is about 250 yards long. The very top of the run requires a single hander, move down 20-30 yards and you're into 100 foot casts to reach the holding water (river is moving out/away from you).

Move down another 20-30 yards and the holding water is 50' out over 'deadish' water between. Here the switch rod shines. Down the same distance and the holding water is right at your feet. Either type of spey is total over kill at that range.

As you move down the balance of the run 'the slot' moves right out to the far bank of the Rogue so you're back to 100' casts.

Other runs? Upper Casey park ('sand bottom, etc.) have similar situations. You could use any of the rods, but depending upon water flow one or two would be the apprp. choice(s).

fae

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If a fly angler can't manipulate a single, switch and spey rod suitably to fill a fishing niche for which each may be the ideal rod then what damn good is that fly angler? I've recently added spey and switch options to my quiver and although my talent with each of the three types of rods is limited I'm confident I can fish each well enough to put me in the fishing zone. I'm a single hander, no all day heavy rod, tips and flies issues in my once retired body, but I'm happy to be learning some switch and spey stuff that will make me a more well rounded fly fisherman.

18. almostacatch

almostacatch Let it Angle on the Dangle

Those who like the switch rod....What's your poison....Favorite rod, reel, ect?

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Not my favorite, but pretty neat addition so far.

20. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
    I ventured into the switch rod arena this past spring, not knowing if I'd like it I went the cheapest route and bought a Rainshadow Switch Rod kit 10'8" 8wt and assembled it myself. After much frustration trying to find a line to start off with, I was directed to a shop that helped design the Rainshadow according to Kary Batson and was hooked up with a great line that works awesome.
    Now that I've been practicing on the lower Yakima for Smallmouth and a few other rivers, including the Klickitat, I've got to the point where I can cast it fairly well so this is and will be my choice for winter steelhead this year. We'll see how it fairs but it should be ok from I think. As for the reel I used an older Lamson 3.5 that I had and it works out great for me.
    As for the Salmon, well this last spring before the Yakima river got so high and became to dangerous to wade (I went for a swim 3 times) I used my Sage Z-axis 10wt single handed rod with the versi-tip line from Rio. Had no problems with the salmon I managed to get to the bank with that setup. I also used an older Lamson Bonefish model reel on the Sage, it has a kick ass drag on it and holds them if you want.
    So I guess to answer your question there is really no one rod that works best, but you can make do with one rod if you had to or like in my case not a wealthy credit card slinging fly-fisher, (the Sage was a Gift) you can get out on the water and have fun.
    I would recommend trying any rod out first that you can but the switch is pretty versatile rod choice in my opinion.

Rick