What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Ed Call, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Spent two awesome days out on the OP with WFF forum member, Team Brazda guide and all around great guy Jergens and his Pal Seth. Jergens did most of the rowing. After Seth would nail a fish then they would swap. I fished out of the back of the boat for two days and they barely let me do anything of use. Jergens was testing some of his new fly patterns. They work. Seth got them to work on four steelhead, landed three of them. I got them to work on two and landed one. There were a few trout and whitefish hooked too.

Thank you Mr. Jergens, for your time, effort and exceptional attitude. Thank you Mr. Brazda for your hospitality at the Bogie House. This is one fine operation and it was my privilege to rub elbows with such a gathering of fishy folks.

Ran into many other friends out there, it was crowded. I hope all that ventured out that way had a safe and fun time.

The weather was excellent. The water flows, temperature and clarity were excellent. The company was excellent. This was an excellent adventure.

Got Chrome?
    View attachment 39127

2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Awesome Ed! Sounds like a great trip!

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Well there goes Old Man Jims regular arguement about you never catching fish. Good news is winter isnt over yet in montana, so he should have plenty of time to come up with something new!

Congrats on the good fishing!

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Good times having beers with you guys last night!

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    That is a stocky fish your hold there Ed. Nice.

You are starting to look a little like Braz...with that long facial hair you got going.

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Glad you had a good time AND got some fish.:thumb: Was worried the weather might have hit you guys. It was freaking nasty around here yesterday.

So, what was the fly? Was it pink and rubbery?:rofl:

7. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Nice fish! Congrats.

8. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Great job Ed!:thumb::thumb:

9. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Good job Ed!
    Now that's a classy OP shot if I ever seen one. Good nose rubbin' material for sure.

10. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Well played, my friend. Well played.

11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

way to go ED! Youll be getting more of em

12. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks all, it really was a fantastic time. To be allowed to fill a seat in the Jergens boat with one of his pals for two days was really great. Both Joe and Seth are guides, young, energetic, talented oarsmen and ever so fishy fellows. I have been blessed with learning from such talented people that eventually I knew that good things would come. Fishing relaxed with great people has really been something that has developed over the past couple of years and many of you are a solid and influential part of that. Thanks.

As to the fly, it is a nymphing pattern that Jergens is developing with other guides on Team Brazda. Out of respect for that process I used the prototype patterns to assist in seeing which ones work. It was not pink and rubbery. I was nymphing on the move, and that is where I hooked into the two steelhead that I touched. I landed one in short fashion on the single hander, photo above. The other, on Saturday, got hooked and held in place. As I was untangling my line from around my reel handle the fish bolted, pinning my hand between the line and reel and pop! That fish felt good (Joe and Seth joked about seeing it and being huge. Not sure they saw the fish, more like they were rubbing it in that I had pulled a rookie move not letting the fish run!)

Looking a little like Brazda? Well, it was not intentional, but Jeff is truly an amazing host and fishy guy. If looking a little like him is anything it should be a good thing. Impression is the finest form of flattery. I hope the Braz does not mind! This will not be my last time rubbing elbows with Mr. Brazda and his crew. The more I spend time with folks that spend time on the water for their livelihood, the more I realize how knowledgeable, unstressed and personable they are. Who would not appreciate more time with folks like that?

13. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

It's amazing how much stuff you can pickup from the pros. They can make it seem so simple.
    That's a beautiful fish! What a great weekend on the OP!
    Must have more steel!

14. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Ed, very nice fish glad you had a great time. Jim

15. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Nice. I'll be looking to soak some second-hand knowledge through osmosis. Maybe it will help get a first-hand fish.

16. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ed great fish and it sounds like a great time. Any more pics of the trip?

17. Benni

Benni Member

Media:
    nice report ed! nice fish too! i took a trip with joe a few years ago, what a great guy and worked super hard to put us on fish. congrats!

18. Builder

Builder Member

Hey guys...I am impressed beyond words at you guys catching those beautiful fish on a fly rod.
    Figuring where they hang, how to get it there , then hooking them ..and then managing to somehow get a frikken freight train into a net. Incredible skills you have acquired.
    I had never fished for steelhead anywhere before, using any method until a dark sider took me out this weekend.
    Oh my gawd. I want to catch one on a fly rod, Bad.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I just composed a book to add to this thread and I hit a wrong button and it went to lala land. So now I have to do it all over again.

So bite me Mumbles. At least we see you putting it back into the water. Are you sure you caught that fish ??

The weather here sucks. Was going to head out to the Beaverhead this afternoon but we have that shitty white shit falling out of the sky. I hate snow. It's been on the ground here since before Thanksgiving. And no, I haven't hit the Ruby yet this year. Same reason, the snow.

Well both Joe and Brazda guide out of Twin Bridges. The Stone Fly Inn is their base.

Have a nice day................................Are you sure you caught that fish ??????????????????????????????????

Jim

20. Ed Call

Media:
    Jim, hard as it is to believe, I caught that fish, brought it to the net and Joe netted it. Seth got in place with the camera and we unbuttoned photographed and released it in just a few seconds. Beautiful wild fish. Seth caught one earlier that day that was much larger than mine. Sorry you can't get out on the Beaverhead or Ruby because of the snow. Hope it passes soon and you can get out.