NFR What to do in Yakima?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Will be in a variety of gymnasiums this weekend in Yakima, coaching my youth team. What is there to do in the area that can keep my family busy and sane so they don't have to sit in a loud gym all weekend?

They plan to do some time in the hotel pool, goecaching and seeing what activities there may be on Saturday and Sunday.

Suggestions here or via PM greatly appreciated.
  2. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Don't wear blue or red clothing and bring ballistics vests.

what are your interests?

I would take family to the elk feeding station on why 12 and sheep feeding station in Naches.

Many decent Mexican restaurants. Some good hiking too. Pm for areas if interested
  3. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Id also split up hwy 12 or 410, there is a geat network of logging roads you drive over from one hwy to the next. One of my personal favorites. Usually a few elk or sheep maybe bear. In the area. No more than 45 min from yakima, and a few hours to get over the hill. Snow could be an issue though. There is a couple ponds along the way that in summer house some eager trout, ive got no idea how they would fish in winter. Good luck
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Unfortunately no fishing for me, I'll be coaching. The girls are only 6 and 8 so they will be up for some light hiking, but no really tough stuff just yet.

The Elk and Sheep feeding stations seems interesting and age appropriate. Thanks.
  5. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Only 3 drive-by shootings and one stabbing this week in Crackivegas. Violent crime is down and Should be safe

Have fun!
  6. kdog0027 Membership Pending

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    My kids are exacly the same age. Kid's Castle is a good bet (jungle gym, climbing wall, bouncy house). It usually keeps my two occupied for a couple of hours. We hiked Cowiche canyon this past weekend, and that's worth doing. PM me if you need directions. Mark
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    If it is sunny and warm mind the snakes in Cowiche. If time is an issue, and the girls just want to run, throw a ball or just stretch their legs, Gilbert Park is a safe location option but there isn't any play equipment. The elk feeding is a good suggestion if they are into animals. I'll check with a bunch of my Yak friends on FB and get back to you.
  8. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I'll third the Elk feeding station. Another idea would be the roller rink.
  9. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    A few more ideas from the Yaks: "Yakima Arboretum at the Greenway, Randall Park to feed the ducks, the soda fountain is now open at the Yakima Valley Museum, Peppermint Stick Drive for ice cream and of course, parents have to top the day at MINER"S!"
  10. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    This is good for a hour or 2 though is might be considered boring to the kids. Between Yakima and Natches there is an area to view Indian petroglyph's.
  11. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    By the way, the Greenway also has play equipment for kids.
  12. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Miner Burgers
  13. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Ratings: +87 / 9
    Ditto a stop at Miner Burger in Union Gap (a suburb of Yakima just off I-5... if a suburb of Yakima is a proper term)
  14. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ed, Can't vouch for any of these except Minors, they were just suggested by a guy I know: Family Fun Center, Museum at Franklin Park (roll down the terraces at the park, this I can vouch for) , Minors , The Greenway,
    Higs & Knuckles, Friends Forever
  15. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +876 / 0
    What? You can't just flex the precision rifle, shooting a few gangbangers from 6-700 yards anymore? The girls are about the right size to start 'em off with a .17HMR, I'd think!
  16. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Hit me up if you're up for lunch on Sunday or maybe a beer or something.
  17. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +876 / 0
    Now that I think about it, this kinda reminds me of that old John Denver song, "Saturday night in Toledo, Ohio"!
  18. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,555 / 0
    I think the stocking report on wdfw just reported Yakima pond stocking
  19. ribka Active Member

E WA
    You
    You're right. Myron lake on 40th and Fruitvale was just stocked. Selective gear lake. But if you put on some 1/32 oz jigs with slip bobbers set 3-4 feet down your kids could catch some trout. There are some in there over 10 lbs.
  20. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Last time I went fishing at Myron Lake I was putting my waders on in the parking lot and I here a woman's voice. I look up and see a completely naked middle aged woman walking towards me asking for a hug. I also remember seeing a gang fight and stabbing too near the lake. I guess would be better off fishing elsewhere.