What to do with my T-14

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Burck, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,493 / 2
    I purchased 30' of T-14. I already cut a 10' section. trying to figure out the best use of the other 20'. I was thinking 12' and 8'. Or would 2' increments not be enough to really make that much a difference?
  2. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    How about a 5 and a 15?

Just an idea!

or you could go daring and 6/14 or 7/13. lots of possibility here!
  3. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    What are the length increments on those MOW tips. That would give you a good idea.
  4. LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

BFE
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    i use a 15' chunk a lot of the time. sucks, cause your probably never going to use a 5' but thats what I'd do.
  5. Sean Beauchamp Teepee Creatchin'

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +373 / 1
    8, 10 and 12 for sure. 2 feet can make all the difference.
  6. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Definitely 8' and 12'... If you want to make any shorter than 8 foot casting gets tough
  7. JS Active Member

Ratings: +40 / 0
    Agreed, 8' and 12'. T-14 is 14gr per foot, so going from a 10' tip @140gr to a 12' tip @168gr is a big enough difference.
  8. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,539 / 0
    You should make your tips all the same length and the same grain weight. Use differring weights of level line to create tips with shorter or longer lengths of t-14.
  9. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I'd go for 7' and 13'. I think that would give you a little more of a difference and you could still use the 7' in certain situations.
  10. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +208 / 1
    Get rid of that crap and get some poly leaders. Shit is sooooo slippery. smaller dia. same sink rate. polls out of the water a lot easier.
  11. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    now that is some funny shit. Myself, I'd have tried to be witty and said, "cut a 13' er and throw the rest away" but both responses make good sense.
  12. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Bet you fish the same type of water all the time eh?
  13. abobrien Alex O'Brien

puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    15 and 5 use the long one for your spey and use the short 5 for a single hander
  14. ten80 Active Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Nail knot 2ft of 30-lb then 5-6ft 20lb maxima onto the end of the 5ft T14. Add tipped of your choice and use as mini sinktip for jigging flies for coho next year.
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Seems like going with my 8'/10'/12' idea is going to be what I'm after. I've always been using tips that come with various heads and a few others I had made at local shops. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with some redundant tips.
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,539 / 0
    No, think about what I am saying here. You do not want to change the grain weight or length of the tip you are casting. This is to keep your casting stroke the same no matter what tip you have on. You adjust the length of the t-14 for the depth and current speed of the water you are fishing. 10 feet of t-14 is going to fish deeper and/or faster water than 5 feet. It doesn't matter what the overall grain weight of the tip is.
  17. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +18 / 1
    If you haven't already, measure for accurate length of '20ft' piece then make your cut of choice.
  18. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Poly leaders do not sink as fast as T-14 or even close IMO. I would agree in using the floating poly or using them in the intermediate application.
  19. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I've used the poly leaders a few times. Definitely not what I'm after.
  20. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Getting a grain scale is key.