what to fish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tyler Speir, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ive never fished the salt before. This is my first time on the salt forums. What are my options for fishing the salt? Somthing other then chum. I want to try everything I can. Is there such thing as an easy catch? I really know nothing about this.

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I wouldn't say anything is "easy" but sculpin are pretty readily available, fish a clear line from the beach with a small clauser and strip it in along the bottom. You might get into a silver, searun, or even a blackmouth to. If you get into a pod of coho or searuns you're set, they're not really hard to catch, the hardest part is hitting the right beach at the right time. A lot of that comes from experience, and a lot of it is luck.

Just go hit a beach and give it a shot, don't be freaked out by the saltwater either, it's not going to melt your rod or warp your wood. Just rinse your stuff off when you're done. 6wt with a clear line and ~6-9 foot leader is the way to go.

Pro tip- Get a stripping basket if you fish from the beach. Trust me.

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Spier61:

For "something other than chum" the name of the game now on Puget Sound is sea-run cutthroat(SRC). This fisheries has been excellent for the last month but is now starting to slow down somewhat as the SRC follow the spawning salmon upstream for an easy meal of salmon eggs. However, there are still quite a few large SRC near estuaries. It is a hunt and seek game to find out where they are hanging out. By the first part of December this fisheries will really slow down. Do a search on this web site under "sea-run cutthroat' and "SRC" and you will find a wealth of information.

In a month or two the "resident silver" fisheres will start heating up on Puget Sound. Again do a search of that fisheries to get you started.

Don't get discouraged as it might take a few outings before you will finally hook into a fish. The learning curve for these fisheries is fairly steep when you begin but once you are beyond that the fish "will come". The beauty of these fisheries is that you are always learning something new on every fishing trip. If you can, talk to or go fishing with someone who is knowledgeable about these fisheries to help you get started.

Hope that I have helped you.

Roger

4. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

You want easy, go buy a fish at Safeway.

You want to learn to fish the salt, simply grab a 6wt and an intermediate or floating line with a #6 Reverse Spider or Chartreuse Clouser and find a beach. I fished a local state park today for a few hours and caught a beautiful 19" searun and more 10-12" silvers than I could count. They weren't "easy" but it was fishing.

Leland.

5. one eyed poacher

one eyed poacher New Member

I've lived close to or on the beach most of my life. I"ve fished in many a salt envioron. Aas far as that goes I offer saveral several caveats(warnings) as well!

1: Always thoughly rinse or soak anything with any kind of...actualy ****, rinse everthing best you can. (I've had boot grommets, rod guides, tube rings (Stainless!) flies, boot canvas, you name it, all rust or rot.

2: Watch out, be aware, beware, when draging sinkers, sinktips, even intermediates on the bottom, Look, ask, experiment untill you know the bottom of the beach or estuary offers no hazard. I ruined an eight foot sink tip in three hours fishing the shallows for stageing chum because of banicles and oysters. (I also knocked the shit out of them!) Floaters and intermediates seem to be the choices on most of your game off the beach anyway. Although I did pull a deep sinker safely for Kings through a deep eddy rip hole. (Eddys and rips-RIP! as do oyster beds, creek mouths, grass beds, convergence zones, rips seams, points especialy points and on and on.)

c; Use your most expendable gear when possible. I know for a fact that if you can fish as much as most of us want to, the salt will soon chew your gear up. For years I've been buying and collecting cheap used stuff to offer in sacrifice.

I forget, why don't you want to fish for one of the choicest salt water game fish available to anglers? ( I'm talkin' to you, and I'm talkin' chums baby)

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Poacher - lay off the caffeine dude and you'll stop double posting so often... Oh, and do you think the frequent use of certain 4 letter words will give some kind of 'street cred' or what?

S61, here are plenty of 'easy' salt targets. Just depends on what you have access to. A boat will help. There are times and places where rock bass can be hot. Sculpin, greenling, and flounder can be easy pickings if you have the interest. You missed out on the pinks - being in the right place at the right time and the fishing was fast and 'easy' for the most part.

7. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    How far out do you guys wade? You say you fish from the beach. Do you wade out as far as you can, then cast as far as you can?

Someone asked why don't I want to fish for chum. I do want to, I just wanted to know some of the other options out there.

Can someone give me a good beach to start at? Im really fishing for any info I can get. Somthing close to seattle would be nice.

I just got a new SAGE XP 9' 8 weight got with a Albright Tempest 3 reel. I really want to try it out.

8. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    For chum you should look into minter creek, chico creek, maybe the nisqualy, the skagit, depends on how far you want to go. I heard something on the radio the other morning that said we had something like 52 different chum runs in the hood cana/puget sound. I'm sure you can find something :p

If you want to just fish a beach then head to Alkai, Browns Point, lincoln park, dash point, tacoma narrows, those are just a couple.

You should start out casting close to shore then work your way out, I usually don't wade out past my waist, most of the fish you're fishing for will be pretty close to shore.

If you're looking for info use the search function of the forums, this stuff has been re-hashed many times.

Good luck

9. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    thanks fot the info.