What to keep material and supplies in?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Zip Lock Bags and Plastic storage boxes, brands of Plastic Storage boxes are Sterilite, Rubbermaid, and Tupperware. Many years ago I stored in shoe boxes, somehow and someway some moths got into my storage area destroyed close to $500 or more worth of fly tying material and flies that I had tied. I now use seal tight plastic for storage. Those moths ate everything natural that didn't have dye in it. If the feathers or wool was dyed they didn't touch it. Use plastic with a good seal. If you get some pheasant tail, grouse, or buck tail from a friend put it in the feezer for a couple of weeks before storing it. I learned the hard way, you can't be too careful.

2. fishes-with-fly

fishes-with-fly New Member

Yes! The Ikea boxes. Mark, they look awesome!!!

You gave me an idea to color code the drawer fronts.

Am I right though. The drawers in most boxes are exactly the same size as the packaging for most materials. Mine are stuffed full. I really need to get a few more...

3. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    My dad's old briefcase. I started using it when I was back in high school, it works great for travel, but it is a little too full. It has a hard case (covered in fishing stickers), and dividers. I can actually open it up, secure the vise to the lip and have everything right there. It is overly full now, and it has kind of become a "seasonal" suitcase. I keep the stuff I am not using that often in clear Rubbermaid like boxes, and put the stuff I'm using often in the suitcase. This allows me to still take it with me wherever I want and not crush my materials because it is over stuffed. Right now it is mainly my steelhead stuff.

4. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Roll top desk. Close it when not in use. Craigslist.

5. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Member

Home Page:
    For keeping stuff at home, I use the sterile plastic boxes. I have been lucky enough to get a ton of them at Goodwill for $1 each. For on-the-go I use an Eddie Bauer bag that was originally designed for carrying all your baby stuff... got that at Goodwill for $5... it holds a ton, has lots of inside and outside pockets. Just put materials in zip lock bags and then into the carry bag. Get travelling kit for when I travel.

6. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  7. Gary Thayer

Gary Thayer Member

For tying materials, I find lettuce containers such as sold by Costco (found in the chill section). Clear plastic about the size of a shoe box, stack well, a snap on lid, plus being transparent, I have an idea of the contents.

GT

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I built this. One problem is, it's too damn heavy!

9. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

There's a retailer locally called Storables and they sell clear plastic chest of drawers. The frame structure is black and the drawers are clear plastic. The two bottom drawers are large and the top four drawers are about 4" deep. They make excellent storage for tying materials and are priced right, I think around $35.00 each. William Survey and I use to tie together and he turned me onto them. One of the best buys for flyfishing I've made. They're light weight, you can actually put them in the back of your truck quite easily and haul your materials to a different location when tying with friends. They're also useful for organizing other fishing/hunting gear, or using for clothes when friends/family comes for a visit.

10. Bonefish Jack

Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Another option is to use a "sewing" box, which can be found at most craft stores. Great spaces for storing spools, tools, and materials. Since these boxes have handles, they are easily handled and can be taken along to your favorite water.

11. Moscow

Moscow New Member

I use a cheap roll top desk and two chest of drawers like Scottflycst describes to curb my cats enthusiasm. Thought I had the problem licked until I found the one cat could open the roll top's pull-out drawer to get at the capes. But even he couldn't get past the child-proof lock ;)

Moscow