What to look for in a drift boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Matt Smith, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Thanks!!!!

2. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

Matt,
    Watch for the old Eastsides to pop up for sale. Beautiful Classic curves, and indestructible.
    they're inexpensive and a blank slate waiting for modification and customization.
    Mines a '77 Jrerrys is a '69, check them out at the Hoh down

View attachment 37628 View attachment 37629

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Matt, you could also throw in a "comealong" in the truck, just in case... I've got a Clack wf16-great boat!

4. OliveScud

OliveScud New Member

A lot of the newer boats are built to be so maneuverable that they all get pushed around by the wind, regardless of of being LP or high side.

Consider a boat cover when towing it. It improves your gas mileage and keeps the road grime out of your boat and people from reaching in and taking stuff when you have to park.

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Break down oar

Since no one else mentioned it, stop a minute and think about this. When do you really need a spare oar? Murphy's law dictates it will be at the worst possible time, when it can cause the maximum damage. Half way though a gnarley piece of water when you whack your oar on a rock and it breaks. That's when. You do not want to be moving around in the boat, trying to open the seat to access the spare oar. And by the time you get it assembled, if you can get it assembled at all under stress and the boat being tossed around like a cork, you are either swimming, or through the grace of God, through the bad stuff.

Point being, you had best assemble that spare oar at the launch ramp and have it at the ready in case you need it. So what good is a break down oar if it's only function is that it stores nice when not needed?

A couple of other things that are best not learned the hard way. Tune you oar locks so that the oars don't come out too easily. Not so tight they don't move freely. And not so tight you can't pop it out, and/or jam a new one back in if you have to. And put teathers on them so that if one does pop out, you don't lose it.

6. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Break down oar

+ Juan :)

7. fodf

fodf Team Umiak

iagree ++Juan

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    +3! I always had one piece oars. Nice to have a 2 piece for transport if room is limited (like me who has drifter loaded with gear LOL). I've never had to tune full sized oarlocks. Only time I've had a problem was using those plastic sleeeves vs rope wrapped. Pulled the sleeve off and wrapped them. Problem solved. LOL.

A LOT of drifters for sale and cheap. Time to jump on one Matt. I'm buying another aluminum so have my eyes on boats for sale. Have my eye on one on my route I'm hoping to get. Will be my gear boat so when I restore my Eastside I have a boat to use too. Every time I get boat ripped apart, clean, and dried I need it for a trip. Plus I have always had a plethora of boats. Miss not having my 2 driftboats. Always had one boat setup for gear and one for fly.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    +3! I always had one piece oars. Nice to have a 2 piece for transport if room is limited (like me who has drifter loaded with gear LOL). I've never had to tune full sized oarlocks. Only time I've had a problem was using those plastic sleeeves vs rope wrapped. Pulled the sleeve off and wrapped them. Problem solved. LOL.

A LOT of drifters for sale and cheap. Time to jump on one Matt. I'm buying another aluminum so have my eyes on boats for sale. Have my eye on one on my route I'm hoping to get. Will be my gear boat so when I restore my Eastside I have a boat to use too. Every time I get boat ripped apart, clean, and dried I need it for a trip. Plus I have always had a plethora of boats. Miss not having my 2 driftboats. Always had one boat setup for gear and one for fly.