What to look for in a Saltwater Reel

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Kcahill, May 11, 2012.

1. 5shot

5shot Member

Have any of you guys had a chance to handle the Ross F1? I can get a great price on the new #5, but it is still a big chunk of change.

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Lot of great information here, thanks everyone for helping out.

I ended up picking up a used Galvan Torque T-8 at a good price as a backup and am going to head down to my favorite fly shop to check out some others this weekend.

3. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I've not fished the Ross F1, but it's been highly recommended to me. The consensus seems to be that after the Vexsis trainwreck that their engineers worked very hard to get the F1 right. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yes...galvan t's good choice

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Budget?

6. simpleinterest

simpleinterest Member

Media:
    KC
    Just read your thread. Excellent comments. I own some Charltons and Makos and live 4 miles from Judys and formerly Jacks shop (
    Charlton Outdaorr Technologies). Started buying from Jack in 1993.
    I have caught 160# tarpon on the 8550C, 70# giant trevaley on the 8500 1., and 20# steelies on the 8500 .8. Charltons are the BEST period.
    I now fish several weeks a year for dorado at Loreto Baja Sur Mexico.
    I have used: Charlton 8500 1.2, Orvis Vortex 13/14, 11/12, Orvis Odyssey IV, Orvis DXR Tarpon, Fin Nor 3 (1993), FinNor 3 AR (1993), Marryat M7X, System 2 10/11 and 12/13,and LL Bean Tidemaster 3 (Islander 3) for dorado and caught dorado to 62# casting on 12 wt fly rods. All but the Charltons, I have purchased on ebay.
    If interested in Dorado, Sailfish, large roosters, giant T, marlin or other blue water fish in the 30# and above range, in my humble opinion, your best bang for the buck and keeping the salt water rule (own two identical fly reels), look at the Orvis DXR Tarpon with the blue label (made by Lamson) or the white label (made by Ross).
    They have a very good +++ drag that is adjustable, hold 300+ yard of 30# dacron and a Orvis wonderline WF11 ro12 S or WF12F. Cost on ebay of Orvis DXR Tarpon typically runs from $90 to $160 and they apprear fairly regularly. A slightly better fly reel and drag and my fly reel of choice is the LL Bean Tidemaster 3 or the Islander 3 (cork drag) that only rarely shows on ebay, typically in the $200 to $300 range selling price.

7. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

And,they are made in 'Merica