What was happening?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kyle Smith, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +254 / 0
    I fish streamers quite a lot. And I catch quite a lot of fish when they're in the mood for streamers. Yesterday, I fished streamers all day on a small brown trout river near Helena.

I counted 8 hits from decent brown trout, and not one positive hook set. I used a white sculpzilla, a red articulated bunny leech, a white zonker, and a yellow bunny leech. All four got at least one hit, all hooks looked fine. I used the strip set and slight rod lift I always do with streamers.

Not one fish hooked out of 8 hits. Weird shit. My thought is that maybe the fish were hitting the very head of my fly to stun it like a shark? Or maybe it was they weren't gobbling hard enough because the water was like 38 degrees?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This happened to me last year once also.

DSCN0680.JPG
    It was pretty there.
  2. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    I think we need a forum rule about MT guys spiking the football :D. As for "what's happening", not too damn much here in WA, that's for sure. I suspect you are right about the short takes being associated with the fish trying to stun the prey. Either that or they are just a little slower moving that normal trying to shed that thin layer of ice coating them.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  3. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +200 / 0
    Well, when you consider the azimuth of the sun divided by the sum of the number of teeth in a lot lizard's mouth at Ken's Truck Town, and then raise that to the (n-1) power (n=median number of red spots on a 2-year old brown trout's left side in the watershed you were fishing), I think it's pretty damn obvious what was going on.
    Bill Aubrey, McNasty, dfl and 5 others like this.
  4. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    I'm sure it's annoying, but there really is no decent MT board out there. I'm sure it has something to do with half the state still probably running on 56K or no internet. My fly fishing renaissance happened in Washington, so this the forum I use.
    Bill Aubrey, Ed Call and Eyejuggler like this.
  5. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    So what happened during your fly fishing Inquisition?

(I had a giant coffee this morning and I'm in a weird mood I guess).
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Hey Kyle,
    I'm just kidding as usual. I love fishing vicariously through our MT members... for the 50 weeks a year I call WA home. That will change soon enough and the wife and I are very much looking forward to it. I will miss the sounds SRC and Coho fishery, but it will be a very small tradeoff.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  7. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,263 / 0
    Enlightened and I had the same problem yesterday. It seemed like they were just nipping it. On one cast I had four strikes without a hookup. A little later five strikes on the same cast. Just taps, but definitely fish. She had one about rip the rod out of her hands, and it still didn't stick.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  8. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    In this situation, have you ever tried a fly with a trailing stinger hook, not too big and super sharp, hanging out back there behind the fly just a tiny bit? That has helped for me before.
  9. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    I was happy to feel some streamer hits and see some flashes in the tea colored water. Would've been nice to land a fish, especially the big one I saw.
    As a side note, Textured Streamer Express is the best sink tip line ever made.
  10. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    The sculpzilla I fished is exactly that. And it almost always lands the fish. That fly went 0 for 4. Also my articulated bunny leech is two #8 streamer hooks, also missed a nice one.
    It just weirds me out that there are days like this and ones where I hook almost every fish in the corner of the mouth.
  11. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    Math no good. LL's have no teeth, so when dividing by zero you have to add in the possibility that some of those missed hook sets were probably Atlantic Salmon. I cannot cite sources for the number of teeth LL's possess, however.

Bill Aubrey and Matt Baerwalde like this.
  12. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    No. That would not be recommended.
  13. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Still leaves the question if those fish were Atlantic's or not.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  14. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Hold on. This CB handpiece is jabbing me in the side and I can't reach over the gear shift to check up on the Atlantic equation in the New Math for Advanced Fly Fishing textbook.
  15. Karry Member

Montana
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Had the same thing last Oct. Some of it was very small fish, 2" -3". I found that out by leaving the line in the water as I moved a few feet to new spot. As I started my cast I sent the small fry about 50 feet up stream. Never new it was on. I then slowed my sets way down and soft and landed 3 more minis and one 10 inch cut in about 1/2 hr
    Bill Aubrey and Kyle Smith like this.
  16. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Well, if you're going to stop and do the research, pick me up some chicken strips and jo-jo's.