What weight flourocarbon line for winter steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ed Call, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

With fishing outing so few and far between one ponders lots of angles. Not so fishy dude need all the preparation possible. I think I've got flies covered, from big and weighted down to small and sparse. I am preferring the casting bliss of the unweighted leting the sinking tip do what it is supposed to do.

2. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

I may be in the distinct minority here, but I occasionally use fluoro up to 20lb while swinging winter and spring fish.

I don't like killing fish, and after the initial grab and "all hell breaking loose" run, I prefer to put the fish in the net very quickly. I also fish a lot in bouldery, snaggy places, and the added dia of 20lb gives quite a bit of abrasion resistance.

When not using fluoro, I use fairly heavy mono, .011" to .014".

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Ill go heavier if there are kngs to be had. 15-20 for chums and kings so I can turn their heas in the water and save myself a long run down a slippery slope

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

8-10lb Maxima for summer work.

10-12lb Maxima for winter.

Trout fishing with nymphs I use fluoro exclusively.

5. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I have seen guides on the coast use 10lb Maxima 6 to 10 inches long in tow behind a sink tip. That will get any line and fly deep, besides there is no fish in the water anyway. Its all a pipe dream, save you gas and stay off the water. Mumbles knows what he is doing - he is hunting for a new idea to catch some unicorn out there in never- never land.

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I agree with Mumbles: the many long hours between each winter steelhead gives me too much time to think whether my terminal tackle, etc. is being all that it can be. Why not have the best?

My normal winter steelhead tippet is 0X, .011" fleurocarbon. I was happy with Seaguar Grand Max and Rio premium before, but now I'm using Orvis Mirage, which has gotten stronger per size in recent years; that size is 16.5 lb. test. They say that fleurocarbon's visability is equivalent to mono three sizes lighter, so it's like fishing a midwinter river with 3X mono. I guess that a fleuro tippet would sink a fly about 3/8" deeper than mono, but it's cheap and easy, as sink tips go.

In dirty water, fleurocarbon could have no optical advantage. I often fish .013" Orvis premium 18.5 lb. for tippet.

7. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

I use 20lb P-line for swinging for winters as well G-smolt. 15lb for nyphing. I only use p-line all across the board....all the way down to 4lb Halo which is about the same diameter as 4x rio powerflex and about twice as strong and will fit through any size 20 hook.. For the record I break 15lb all the time on winter fish, both P-line and maxima. If you aren't breaking a few off you are not pulling near hard enough and are probably abusing fish and fighting them too long. I think that P-line is stronger for the diameter than maxima (lb. rating and diameter are much different) and I like it for nymphing because it sinks well. Seguar is just as good as P-line if not a little better in some cases becuase it is a little more supple.

8. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Yup. Remember how many summer fish I broke off, horsin' the shit out of them with 14lb mono? 7 that one day alone.

If you fight an ordinary 8-12lb steelhead longer than 4-5 minutes, you ain't doing it any favors.

I use Super Sniper, but I think my last batch is crap - Chou and I break-tested a bunch, and it was failing waaay lower than stated test, and not in the traditional "frayed fluoro at knot junction" way...Might have to switch to Pline

9. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Good info! Thanks

10. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

When you hang up with 17lb line, you get your fly back :)

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

me? sometimes...
    you know I use Amnesia, so one hang up can fix all the kinks and curves ... : )

12. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

ha... nice!

Another story,
    One time I walked into a fly shop in Atlanta and people were complaining about a popular trout reel don't have enough room for backing.
    I said, trout in Altanta? backing? I don't even use my backing when I fish for striper !? seriously, only few good size (10-20lb) I saw my backing knot...

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Interesting thread. I am intrigued by everyone who uses P-Line and loves it. Maybe it's changed in the last few years? I used some of the P-Line mono on some salmon one year and had so many fish break off it was crazy. I switched back to maxima and didn't have that problem. I don't know if the flouro is very different, but haven't tried it.

I have been using just mono maxima in 15lb for winter swinging. It's served me well, and I can often get flies back when they decide to get wedged in a rock. I know that's not true for 12 or 10lb, at least for me. I figure if the fly is really going to be where it should - in the fishes face, then it's not going to care too much if it's 10 or 15lb test.

14. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

I use 15 in winter, I feel that the spey cast is so violent that with large ass fly's and some WAY OVERWHELMING snap T's the line wears in a matter of an hour, I have seen way too many fish break off on the bite with less sometimes I even go to 20, there is nothing graceful about T14 and 6 inch rabbit...

15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Rio Fluoro for trout nypmhing (still and moving water) and Maxima Ultragreen for steelhead fishing. I usually use 8-10 lb tippet in the summer/fall and/or over smaller fish and 12-15 lb in winter and/or BC/higher-colored water. I used to hate Maxima tippet spools because the line would uncoil (and the price of the 27 yard spools got to be pretty spendy) but recently bought 250 yard spools and take the time to wind new line on my tippet spools when it runs low (saving a bunch of money). The new tippet spool retainers are great for keep unruly line from uncoilling off the spools.

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Where have you been? I adjusted your's above...and you nailed it!

17. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Some have seen me hand furled a tapered leader down by the river, then I only fish a short 6 or 10 inch piece of leader attached to my fly. This way my leaders are the desired length (for me it a secret I cant share), they hold up for several trips, use less material throughout the season, turn over better and I believe allow the fly to swim better while in tow. That's just me and I should add -- better distance on my bobber and bead presentation.

18. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I think there are only a few manufactures of 100 percent floro in the world. Seaguar is the only company that sees it's product from it's production to the shelf.

19. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

When using my 7wt switch rod I use 12# flouro while fishing in the winter on smaller water. 15 -17 # flouro when using larger flys and 7 -8 wt spey rod in medium and larger waters in winter. Like the PLine 100% Flouro, be sure to get the right stuff not the the coated stuff. If it's only coated and not 100% flouro may as well stick with the tried and true Maxima Ultragreen. Summer fishing with floating line it's always Maxima 8 and 10# on a maxima hand tied leader.

20. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

Summer: 8lb. - 10lb. Yozuri H2O Invisible Green
    Winter: 10lb. - 12lb. Yozuri H2O Invisible Green

Yozuri H2O is designated as a fluorocarbon line for the reel, but it is really too stiff for a reel line. It does have excellent characteristics for leader material though. I've been using it for fly, gear leaders for many years now, tough and performs well. The invisible green color makes it even more stealthier than clear fluorocarbons. 200 yard spools, a much better deal than buying small fluorocarbon leader spools.

http://www.yo-zuri.com/01_products/...h2o_100percent_fluorocarbon_fishing_line.html
    http://www.fish307.com/yo-zurih2ofluorocarbonfishingline-2.aspx