What weight for a heavier rod?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jonbackman, Dec 16, 2007.

1. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Media:
    Well, I posted a question along these lines some time ago, but it isn't until now that acquiring a new rod may be a possibility. I currently fish a 6/7 wt 8.5 footer, and I am happy with it when targetting SRC's and smaller salmon species. During the past couple months, I've been in situations that I could've targetted chums, and after hearing so much about their tenacity, I really wanted to. But, I felt that sacrificing my only fly rod for one fish might be pretty stupid. So, now I think I can work a new rod into the budget. It's main uses would most likely be: Chum, bottomfish(Neah Bay Black Rockfish, maybe Lingcod), Tiger Muskies, Chinook, and maybe Steelhead. Also, my in-laws live in Mexico, so that is going to be a frequent destination for me, and I'd like a bit heavier rod to bring down there when I get the chance. I pretty much only fly fish salt, but I am interested in chasing steelhead sometime in the rivers, so it would be nice if I could use this second rod for that. Anyway, it seems to me that I should be looking at either a 9 or 10 wt, and I am curious what those of you who have fished for any or all of these species with one or both of those rod weights might think. Thanks for any input!

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Wow... Not easy. I would say if you can only have one go for the 9. It's more than enough for the beach in Mexico. And my popper and dry line rod in pangas in mexico is a 9. Schoolie dorado up to 20, skippies, regular jacks and roosters are no problem. A 12 lb yellowfin could break the rod if you make a mistake will playing or landing it (mostly while landing it. Usually a final lunge by the fish while the rod is close to the rail or over the motor). Big fish there will tear you the hell up though. Just remember, point the rod at the fish before breaking them off;)

A 10 would be pretty damned heavy for much of the local stuff you mentioned. The rockfishing is more about being able to throw LC13/T14 than fighting big bad fish and a nine will do that great. big kings will make you happy you own a 10 but how frequently will you really target them?

Like I said if I had to pick I'd get the nine.

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I would say a 9 weight as well. A good match for most of the species.

4. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

My vote was going to be the 8 weight until you added the Mexico usage. I agree with the above if you have to go with one I would go with the 9 weight.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

iagree 9! and a 4-piecer...you'll be glad you did :)

6. Pez Gallo

Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree with all the above...a 9wt would be the most versitile for Washington and Mexico use. For most Mexico beach fishing applications the 9 is a pretty solid choice. When it comes to chasing big roosterfish and jacks I much prefer a 10wt. Last year I fished a Cam Sigler 10wt and liked it so much I bought another. Good rod at a good price.

7. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    you actually need 2 rods, an 8wt and a 10wt. you will find the 9 either too heavy or too light depending on what you are fishing for. so the decision perhaps should be based on what you see yourself doing the most of in the near term.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:

iagree

I substantially agree with the others about the 9 being the 'one size fits all' choice, but the note above is the most accurate. You need two sticks.

90% of the fishing that you described could be handled by a stout or fast action 8 weight. Buy the rod that will fit the fishing you will be doing the majority of the time. A stout 9 could wear you out if fished and cast all day, like you might when fishing for steelhead or other anadromous species. An 8 weight could also be a nice big river/big trout streamer rod, where a 9 wieght would be too much stick. I know that you expect to 'frequently' visit Mexico, but I'd wait until that schedule actually started happening, and then buy the equipment as needed.

For Mexico, it's tough to beat a fast 10 weight as an all-around rod. In the NW, it's tough to beat a fast 8 weight as an all-around big fish rod.

If you think the one rod choice is the best for you, contact me; I have a new/unused Redington 9 weight, 4 piece that I'd let go for very reasonable. It could be your Christmas present that you buy for yourself . . . ;)

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

If offering a CPS...bite and bite hard on the offer :thumb: