Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What were they?

747 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wanative 
#1 ·
I was at a local beach this evening on the flood tide just observing and saw lots of small fish from 3 to 4 inches jumping within casting range of shore. I was wishing I had my rod for sure.:confused: A loon was enjoying the buffet.
I saw one good sized splash which I think was a larger trout but may have been a duck. Could they have been chum smolt or are the chum smolt smaller?
Thanks in advance for your insights.

Fred

#2 ·
Most likely what you saw were coho smolt. Currently there are a LOT of coho on the outmigration. Chum outmigrate to the salt as fry and would be significantly smaller. Personally, when I see lots of coho smolts or juvenile cutthroat, or if I find after my first few hooked fish that all I am getting are smolts or juveniles, I pack it up and move on. I'd rather not put those fish under any undue stress or worse hook them in the brain/head or eye and seriously injure or kill them before they've even had a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.