What were they?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wanative, May 13, 2013.

1. wanative New Member

West Custer, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I was at a local beach this evening on the flood tide just observing and saw lots of small fish from 3 to 4 inches jumping within casting range of shore. I was wishing I had my rod for sure.:confused: A loon was enjoying the buffet.
    I saw one good sized splash which I think was a larger trout but may have been a duck. Could they have been chum smolt or are the chum smolt smaller?
    Thanks in advance for your insights.

Fred
    frank satter likes this.
  2. James Harrington Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Most likely what you saw were coho smolt. Currently there are a LOT of coho on the outmigration. Chum outmigrate to the salt as fry and would be significantly smaller. Personally, when I see lots of coho smolts or juvenile cutthroat, or if I find after my first few hooked fish that all I am getting are smolts or juveniles, I pack it up and move on. I'd rather not put those fish under any undue stress or worse hook them in the brain/head or eye and seriously injure or kill them before they've even had a shot.
    Mark Mercer, Eyejuggler, dcm and 2 others like this.
  3. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    There it is, if you're fishing in the nursery, you're not fishing the right place. Well done, James.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +476 / 0
    Coho outmigrate between March and late June at an average length of 3.5 - 5.1 inches after spending one to two years in fresh water,
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  5. wanative New Member

West Custer, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    They must be Coho smolt. I work on the waterfront in Bellingham only a few miles from the Nooksack river mouth and saw many jumping clear of the water tonight at work.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Fred