What would an old, like new Regal vice be worth.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by deepcreek, Dec 24, 2009.

1. deepcreek

deepcreek New Member

This has the bronze traditional base, bronze ball and in mint condition but I have no idea what the value ball park would be. If anyone could give me an idea would be appreciated.

2. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

I would say what ever a new one cost minus 40% as a start.
    I don't think it would have collectible value so that what my idea of a start would be.

3. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

What do you mean worth? Like, in money, or at the bench? If it's the former, not much. If it's the latter, plenty.

It actually surprises me how little these go for on the used market. That's why I got one in the first place, and probably why I still have one. I paid damned little for a used one many years ago, and even though I don't use it as much as I should, there's no way I could get a price that would justify my selling it. I have several vises that I use for different, specific purposes, and my Regal is often the odd man out. But, if I could only have one vise to do everything, the Regal would be the one. I think that's a pretty good reason to hang on to it.

If you're looking to sell and someone offers you $100, I'd say take it. If you're looking to unload it quickly, I'll give you $50 plus shipping.

4. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I just paid $50 for one. I like it a lot

5. snarlac

snarlac Member

I paid $250 for one, with that bronze base (goes for something like $100 alone), and I like it alot too.

6. Jaykayyy

Jaykayyy Outsider

Home Page:
    Yeah i dig my regal, just wish the bronze base didnt slide about so much. 100 dollars seems like a steal, got mine for around 250 brand new and it came with 6 tying lessons... one on one instruction was awesome.

7. bfic

bfic Member

I paid $100 used for the bronze pedestal base version back when the new price was $185.

As far as the base sliding around - take the rubber off the base and glue some silicone rubber to it using silicone sealant for glue. It will be much harder to slide.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Probably in the $125 range; the biggest cost is shipping . . .

There is a post in this section of WFF about someone looking at a new vise. If you are selling the Regal vise, I'd PM that person and see if he is interested. If you are buying one, anything under $125 is a solid deal.