What would you put in a trout fly tying travel box?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jerry Daschofsky, May 24, 2011.

1. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +700 / 5
    I'm not a trout guy. My travel tying kit is a steelheaders wet dream. But being with Project Healing Waters we do a lot of trout flyfishing. I have some trout tying materials but not a lot. So I'm going to build a kit just for tying trout flies in camp. That way I can leave my kit at home.

Here's my dilemna and leads me to my question. I'm not sure what all to load into it. What hooks, beads, materials..............

So if you could build an all around travel kit what would you put in it (need specifics please)? Will be used for stillwaters and rivers. I know there is no right or wrong answers. Just need some direction. Thanks everyone!
  2. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Well I consider a travel kit an "emergency" kit, so I keep it pretty sparse as I would be bringing "all the flies I need", and would be tying only if I ran out .

For mayfly dries, I would only bring what I need for Haystacks (hair wing comparadun). So the deer hair, some fine "waterproof" dubbing and some antron for the tail, and whatever else you like for tails.

For caddis dries, guess what! slant that wing back and you have Matthew's X-caddis! Slant it foward and you have an emerger.

Mayfly and caddis Nymphs pretty basic. I would only bring a partridge or grouse skin for legs/hackle/tail. I would tie Birdsnests and soft hackles, so some dubbing for birds nests, and some orange, green, brown, and tan floss for soft hackles.

For stone nymphs I would only bring black chenille and black rubber leg material and tie only Brad's ugly bug. Takes seconds. Works everywhere I've tried it. Even on the swing.

Add some marabou and schlappen to the stone fly materials and you have a black wooly bugger. Bring olive for some contrast if you care.

Of course "lead", beads, hooks.

I'm tired when I've fished all day. I don't want to tie complicated patterns. Packing light keeps me from wasting time.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ok I guess I should've been more specific. This will mostly be for my soldiers. They are usually ready to tie in the evening or when we first get there. So I will be building a big kit so they have access to materials. So why I asked. Guess I should've asked if you had a good sized rubbermaid you could load up what would you bring.
  4. abobrien Alex O'Brien

puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    material to tie parachute adams, x-caddis and pheasant tail nymphs those patterns in many sizes and colors will work for many trout fishing scenarios.
  5. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +570 / 0
    -Dubbing Dispenser box with numerous colors...olives, pale yellow, medium yellow, callibaetis, brown, tan, dark grey, medium grey, light grey, black
    -Fine patch of Coastal Deer hair for comparadun wings and other
    -Hareline Parapost in dark, light, and medium grey, and white for parachute patterns, and comparadun wings
    -Zylon for shucks/emergers--- amber, brown, tan
    -Small brass beads for beadhead nymphs
    -Pheasant tails
    -Partridge for soft hackles
    -Turkey feather
    -Black biot goose
    -Grizzly hackles
    -Brown hackles
    -Light and dark dun hackles
    -Wooduck and mallard
    -8/0 threads in tan, black, brown, olive, grey, pale yellow, and white
    -Peacock herl
    -Small gold wire and copper
  6. Philster New Member

just look at a trout fly book. Pick the patterns you want to tie. Look at the materials list and bring that. You could do trip specific, or just generic. I guess I don't get the question. It's as simple as "what do you want to tie, or learn to tie".
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Well its a "must have" list. I know all the hook styles and materials you'd need for steelheading. Trout I'm friggin lost. Guess I could go pickup a pattern book for trout and start grabbing materials i'd need. Hmmmmmmm. Damned trooooooot! ;)
  8. nomlasder Active Member

Burien.
    Ratings: +115 / 0
    Jerry

I got left a bunch of tying material I probably will never use. I'll take picks and post. You can have it for the troups.
  9. Philster New Member

Well for classic stuff you would need brown, and grizzly dry fly hackle, and wet fly hackle.
    Peacock herl
    a hare's mask for tails
    gold wire of various sizes,
    Moose hair,
    elk hair,
    "summer" deer hair
    white calf tail
    partridge skin
    golden pheasant crest
    black chenille
    Angora for leeches
    Pheasant tail
    antron of various colors
    dubbing of various buggy colors

That would cover a ton of dry and wet patterns. In fact any fly you couldn't tie with that stuff was created by someone showin' off...
  10. nomlasder Active Member

Burien.
    Ratings: +115 / 0
    News paper wrapping is dated 1955, I am gonna keep the books but you can have all the rest.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,541 / 9
    Ross is a class act. Larry's list is great. Philster added much value to that. I'd like those items, plus some flexifloss/rubber legs. Everything is better with wiggly action. Dubbing, legs and add some high floating antron like a chernobyl and you can keep the troops busy.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Thanks guys. That's what I needed. Thanks Ross, I'll take that gladly. But wasn't trying to drum up donations (though I do appreciate it). I just know it's easier to tie with good materials. So buying up stuff under my pro tyers discount and loading boxes up. I already let them have full access to my salmon/steelhead materials. But want to get more trout stuff for them to work with. :)
  13. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    some good lists here.

some other things to think about

foam in all colors.
    parachute post material.
    cdc
    deer hair (and the tools to work with it)
    crystal flash
    every type of dubbing u can get ur hands on
    hooks for various styles of flies (2x long, bent shank, terrestrial)
    soft hackles
    grizzly hackles
    wire in red, yellow, orange, etc
    pheasant cape (some things are obv)
    hares mask (some things less)
    lead
    beads (brass, tungsten, lots of sizes)
    a large variety of rubber legs
  14. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    barbell eyes
    some sort of back material for stoneflys (i use emergency tape)
    marabou
    zonker strips

are u broke yet :p
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Well, buying wholesale makes it ALOT cheaper Dustin. :)
  16. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Great suggestions. I use my kit for trying to match something I do not have. I always bring along Flies: the best 1000. It has pictures and materials for just about any pattern I would need and is thin. It has served me well because I have only been at it a couple of years so having a guide is a big help.
  17. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    I liked Philsters emergency kit listing of materials and simple flies

Several years ago Dave Hughes published an insert on flies for a traveling fly box that he could use to fish anywhere he went.

Suggests some things you might tie with your traveling materials:

Elk Hair Caddis,
    Royal Wulff,
    Stimulator,
    Chernobyl Ant,
    Parachute Adams,
    Hares Ear Beedhead,
    All Purpose Black,
    Beadhead Prince,
    Brassie
    Muddler Minnow,
    Olive Wooley Bugger,
    March Brown Spider,
    Leadwing Coachman

*Dave Hughes Searching Flies, FlyFishing and Tying Journal, Bonus Booklet, p. 34- Winter 2004.